• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Birds of Prey and British Agriculture (1 Viewer)

derelict

an occasional visitor
The BBC's Farming Today have been running a series this week on raptors which finished up today with the idea that peregrine falcons were "at saturation level" and would need to be controlled. See http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b006qj8q

Topics covered include the success of raptors, the need to control them and a project to monitor the activities of sea eagles...

The BBC's Farming Today have been running a series this week on raptors which finished up today with the idea that peregrine falcons were "at saturation level" and would need to be controlled. See http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b006qj8q

Topics covered include the success of raptors, the need to control them and a project to monitor the activities of sea eagles...

Ian Newton's book on the population ecology of raptors demonstrated that raptors themselves "know" when saturation levels have been reached. Put very simply, that's determined primarily by lack of suitable food and suitable breeding habitat. Would a farmer buy more cows if (s)he had exhausted all available grazing land and food resources?

DiP
PS - thinking about the cow analogy I did, of course, forget agricultural subsidies that might make it profitable for a farmer to buy more cows in such a situation. But the natural world doesn't operate under those distortions!

love gamekeepers. reminds me of this guy i know who likes to take the most provocative side in whatever he's arguing about (and he loves arguing). anyway, he argues firmly that all birds are "vermin" and also tells me in so many words that i am stupid for arguing otherwise.

before listening i was theorising that the government will possibly grant farmers licences to remove whatever BoPs they want removed because farmers get whatever they want. i have no idea about gamekeepers because they've been in the spotlight for breaking the law and with the RSPB on their back, the government will be in a pickle as to who to cave in to.

i think i might even listen to the program later, although most journalism on radio 4 these days leaves me in disbelief as to level of dumbing down involved so i won't expect to learn much more.

half-cocked dreary sunday afternoon post.

do peregrines eat cows now?

I see - so we have to control wildlife that is successful now do we? That'll be tough on Avocets and Little Egrets.....

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back