• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Birds on an old root. (1 Viewer)

The hotel we stayed at in Bali was right on the beach and there was a headland jutting out into the sea which you could walk around at low tide. One afternoon I was walking along the waters edge barefoot to see what was around this small promontory. There was a lot of flotsam and jetsam and I found a dead Sea-snake in amongst the debris. Not wearing footwear I didn't walk across the debris to examine it. A couple of days later I did the same thing but this time I wore flip flops. Amazingly enough the dead Sea-snake was still there. As I walked towards it an alarm bell rang. Hang on, the tide’s been in and out several times but the snakes still there. Hmmmmmm. I picked up a long length off bamboo and lifted it under the snake which wasn't dead at all. It slithered off into a small cave at the base of the cliff. It was one of these. Blue-lipped Sea Krait.

Needless to say I didn’t go round there again :oops:
Nice animal,
in Goa, Yellow-bellied Seasnakes were often seen dead, on the beach, discarded from fishermens nets I think?

The hotel we stayed at in Bali was right on the beach and there was a headland jutting out into the sea which you could walk around at low tide. One afternoon I was walking along the waters edge barefoot to see what was around this small promontory. There was a lot of flotsam and jetsam and I found a dead Sea-snake in amongst the debris. Not wearing footwear I didn't walk across the debris to examine it. A couple of days later I did the same thing but this time I wore flip flops. Amazingly enough the dead Sea-snake was still there. As I walked towards it an alarm bell rang. Hang on, the tide’s been in and out several times but the snakes still there. Hmmmmmm. I picked up a long length off bamboo and lifted it under the snake which wasn't dead at all. It slithered off into a small cave at the base of the cliff. It was one of these. Blue-lipped Sea Krait.

Needless to say I didn’t go round there again :oops:
I've always liked snakes. Last year I saw what I'm pretty sure was a Water Moccasin in the reeds in a pond at a local park. It's the only venomous snake I've seen. There has been no confirmed sightings of water moccasins in Ohio, so it may not be what I saw, but it matched the pictures.

I've always liked snakes. Last year I saw what I'm pretty sure was a Water Moccasin in the reeds in a pond at a local park. It's the only venomous snake I've seen. There has been no confirmed sightings of water moccasins in Ohio, so it may not be what I saw, but it matched the pictures.
Are they reported in Kentucky?

To bring back on topic here’s the old root from May last year.

Bay-breasted Warbler
Bay-breasted%2BWarbler%2B1.jpg

Nashville Warbler
Nashville%2BWarbler%2B1.jpg

Lincoln’s Sparrow
Lincoln%2527s%2BSparrow%2B3.jpg

Are they reported in Kentucky?
A quick google search said they are found in western KY. I'm thinking what I saw could have been something else, but it was a year ago, so I don't remember except that I decided then it was a Water Moccasin. I didn't know that they were never seen in Ohio until today when I decided to look it up.

These are beautiful photos. There's so much detail, even individual feathers are visible! I could look at these for a long time.

A quick google search said they are found in western KY. I'm thinking what I saw could have been something else, but it was a year ago, so I don't remember except that I decided then it was a Water Moccasin. I didn't know that they were never seen in Ohio until today when I decided to look it up.
You never know, species are moving North it can't be that far to slither.

I could always make a mold and sell plastic or concrete replica's or maybe invest in a 3D Printer and sell them that way.

It is a magic root.:ROFLMAO:
Think of the ecological impact of widespread use of the MikeRoot, though. It has the potential to alter the geographical distribution of birds, which would upset entire ecosystems. It might even be potent enough that the gov would find the need to regulate it (it seems to regulate everything else). It's probably best to keep it to yourself, forget about all the money you would make.:ROFLMAO:

Think of the ecological impact of widespread use of the MikeRoot, though. It has the potential to alter the geographical distribution of birds, which would upset entire ecosystems. It might even be potent enough that the gov would find the need to regulate it (it seems to regulate everything else). It's probably best to keep it to yourself, forget about all the money you would make.:ROFLMAO:
'Just off out to buy a 'root' dear', might have to market that differently in Australia ;)

I think I need to clone that old root because it is decaying somewhat. Its got to the point where I’m looking around and bringing home crappy bits of interesting old bits of wood to use for perches. I hope I'm not turning into a hoarder. :oops:

tempImage9oVkyS.jpg

Don't make the woodpeckers mad that you're stealing their dead wood;)
Not much chance of that I'm afraid. I've had several (all of them) Ash tree's succumb to Emerald Ash Borer. Some I've had to have felled others down at the bottom I'm leaving to the woodpeckers.

Not much chance of that I'm afraid. I've had several (all of them) Ash tree's succumb to Emerald Ash Borer. Some I've had to have felled others down at the bottom I'm leaving to the woodpeckers.
Yeah, around here there's hardly any live ash trees anymore.:( Our woods used to have several but they are all dead now, leaving big gaps in the canopy. There are two small ash trees that are still alive and I'm hoping they'll survive.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back