• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Birds, Point Reyes, CA (Part 2) (1 Viewer)

howiewu

Hi, continuing with my previous thread, these were taken yesterday (June 16, 2013) at Point Reyes, California as well. My takes are:

1. Dark-eyed Junco (Slate-colored)?
2. Lesser Goldfinch?
3. Northern Harriers?

What do you think?
Thanks in advance,
Howard

Attachments

• junco.jpg
    junco.jpg
    124.9 KB · Views: 70
  • finch2.jpg
    finch2.jpg
    316.8 KB · Views: 78
  • hawks.jpg
    hawks.jpg
    66.4 KB · Views: 88
Agree on 2 and 3. 1 has too much streaking for a Junco, but I am not sure off the top of my head which sparrow it is

Niels

You live to learn. I cannot remember seeing a junco this streaked, and I did not have a book at hand. Are the wings shorter at this stage, or why does the tail look so long?

Niels

You live to learn. I cannot remember seeing a junco this streaked, and I did not have a book at hand. Are the wings shorter at this stage, or why does the tail look so long?

Niels

I saw plenty of juv Juncos in CA a couple of weeks ago that looked just like this.

Agree on 2 and 3. 1 has too much streaking for a Junco, but I am not sure off the top of my head which sparrow it is

Niels

Isn't #2 good ol' ordinary American Goldfinch (male, not yet in alternate plumage, but heading there)?

Note bill colour, back colour, broad white shoulder patch.

1. juvenile "Oregon" Dark-eyed Junco
2. American Goldfinch (bill color, wing pattern don't look right for Lesser to me)
3. Northern Harriers

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back