• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Birds putting dry grass and sticks in suet feeder. (1 Viewer)

csdsm

Why would birds be putting dried grass and sticks in the suet feeder? I noticed this a few days ago and now there is quite a bit more material than the first day I saw it. I haven't seen the culprit, but I'm getting a lot of house sparrows and house finches at the feeder right now. Prior to that I was getting lots of woodpeckers (Downy, Hairy, Red-bellied, Red-headed, Northern Flicker) as well as starlings and their bratty fledglings. The woodpeckers and starlings seem to have lost interest, not sure if it has anything to do with the dried grass and sticks or not.

I have a squirrel-proof double suet feeder with a seed hoop beneath. There is still suet in one side, but the other side has been filled with grass. There is also quite a bit of grass in the seed hoop below. This is a busy area with five feeders, so can't imagine that anyone would be trying to build a nest.

I've attached photos. Any thoughts?

Attachments

• rsz_20200626_152704.jpg
    rsz_20200626_152704.jpg
    242 KB · Views: 26
  • 20200626_152711[1].jpg
    20200626_152711[1].jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 20
  • 20200626_152727[1].jpg
    20200626_152727[1].jpg
    690.6 KB · Views: 16
  • rsz_20200626_152655_1.jpg
    rsz_20200626_152655_1.jpg
    268 KB · Views: 16
This is definitely a new one on me. Both feeders appear to be well in the open so I cannot think they would try to build a nest in them. Maybe the cage within a cage one but certainly not the other. It will interesting to see if anyone else has any answers.

Hi csdsm and a warm welcome to you from those of us on staff here at BirdForum.

We're glad you found us and please join in wherever you like ;)

Thanks for the warm welcome!

You are correct, this is out in the open. Very busy feeding area. I haven't seen anyone touching the grass or sticks these past few days. I'm considering taking them out of the feeder but not refilling that side to see what, if anything, happens.

Might be worth trying. Keep us posted if you see any changes if you don't mind.

Really odd...My only thought echoed KC's in that perhaps someone thinks this is a good place to build a nest considered you do have the suet enclosed in the caged feeder. I know why it is put in the feeder as I am sure the starlings and squirrels are taking their share. You can get 'hot' suet which squirrels will not touch and in many cases other species of birds won't like either.

I've used hot seed in the past, but never tried hot suet!

Really odd...My only thought echoed KC's in that perhaps someone thinks this is a good place to build a nest considered you do have the suet enclosed in the caged feeder. I know why it is put in the feeder as I am sure the starlings and squirrels are taking their share. You can get 'hot' suet which squirrels will not touch and in many cases other species of birds won't like either.

Caught in the act!

So I did end up taking every speck of dried grass and twigs out of the suet feeder a few days ago but didn't refill it with suet.

Today I saw what I think is a male house sparrow going into the suet feeder but not actually touching the suet. When I checked the feeder it has new dried grass in it. He was also sitting on top of the feeder and shepherd's hook flicking his tail, puffing up, opening his beak (can't hear if he's making any noise...) Seems like territorial behavior??

Edit: Just now I finally saw him carrying dried grass into the feeder, so it's definitely him. Will try to get some pictures.

Last edited:
Ive been following this in the shadows and would love an update :)
I saw a little male house sparrow putting dried grass in the feeder, but just a few pieces. It was not nearly as much material as the first photos. Then he just hung out on the shepherd's hook and acted territorial, but stopped adding material. Since he stopped adding grass, I eventually refilled with suet and haven't found any more grass since. Very odd!

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back