• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Birds seen at work! (1 Viewer)

Julie50

Mostly in the Midlands :)
Supporter
United Kingdom
Hi all,

There used to be a thread like this, but I have not seen it for a while.

This is prompted by my sightings on return to my school, in the middle of the Black County in the West Midlands, UK.

I am not sure if it because of the lack of students over the last few months.

There is now a resident pair of buzzards, not just flying over, but using the lamp posts in the car park!

We have a resident flock of Canada Geese ranging from 20-30 birds.

I saw a green woodpecker feeding on the path on Thursday!

Julie,
A pair of grey wagtails are seen most days by a small stream that runs past our factory(Tyseley,Birmingham).....plus I’ve seen wheatear and kingfisher over the years.
Anthony

I cheat a bit when it comes to birds seen at work as I have a mobile office, a train driving cab, and every day my office passes a couple of large river estuaries, a lot of saltmarsh, a flagship RSPB reserve, some ancient woodland, suburban gardens, and a wide variety of other habitats.

Recent highlights have included the arrival of large numbers of wintering Pink-footed Geese, a female Merlin who gave me a lovely view of her fanned out tail feathers as she banked away just in front of my windscreen, hundreds of Shelducks on the estuaries, a Great White Egret on the saltmarsh, a flock of Godwits at the RSPB reserve, and several close views of Tawny and Barn Owls caught in the train headlights at night.

Julie,
A pair of grey wagtails are seen most days by a small stream that runs past our factory(Tyseley,Birmingham).....

I used to see Grey Wagtails all the time when driving trains through Bolton. There was one particular spot with poor drainage where there was always water running along the cess (the area immediately beside the track) where a couple of Grey Wagtails where pretty much guaranteed.

It was a dismal urban area full of junk thrown over the boundary fence by the local residents but the wagtails always made me smile. Then Network Rail sorted out the drainage issues, the flowing water disappeared, and so did the wagtails. I haven't seen them for ages now.

My office is in a factory complex in mid-Cheshire. Very industrial but it has produced Waxwings, Yellow-browed Warbler, Osprey etc. We did have breeding Raven and Peregrine until recently but a lot of demolition work has put paid to them. What else?...Green Sandpiper on the Croquet lawn, Red-legged Partridge trying to get through the security barrier, and all seen while I was having a crafty fag.
Luv Dave

In general, the four birds I see must commonly from my office window are Common Mynah, White-cheeked Bulbul, Laughing Dove and Spanish Sparrow.

Where I am?

Qatar.

While it's fun to see these birds for the first time (if you're from the UK like me), when it turns out these are the only birds (apart from pigeons) you'll regularly see, it gets monotonous.

Which is why I'm so glad to have discovered places like Irakaya Farm, where the birding can be specatcular. My last visit there gave up:

Desert Wheatear
Pied Wheatear
Isabelline Wheatear
Hoopoe
Greater Hoopoe Lark
Marsh Harrier
Black-winged Stilt
Sandpiper
Black-crowned Lark Sparrow

and many more.

Unfortunately my school has had to close, so no birding at work for me. Just a lot of lessons on Teams!

Due to Covid, I currently work from home so my sightings are Blue Jays, Muscovy Ducks, Black Vulture, Cooper's Hawk and similar backyard birds. But when I worked at the office, I could see Mitred and Red-masked Parakeets, along with Indian Peafowl, Orange-winged Parrot, American Kestrel and Common Mynas along the more common city residents. Miami is weird in the bird life to put it mildly thanks to the exotics.

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back