• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Birds That Visit Your Garden Now That Didn't Before (1 Viewer)

Euan Buchan

The Edinburgh Birdwatcher
Supporter
Scotland
Thought this may be interesting to hear what new birds visit your garden now that didn't before. For me on top of the list are Goldfinches. Take January last year they didn't show up at all it wasn't until August when I bought a new feeder (still used the same seeds sunflower hearts) and when I put it up they turned up and have been regulars pretty much every day. It's strange but also fantastic because they also attracted Greenfinches who I hadn't seen for years probably since early 2000s when I got into Birding I used to see Greenfinches a lot in the garden and on field trips. Stock Doves have also made brief appearances so I'm really looking forward adding Goldfinch, Greenfinch & Stock Dove to my Big Garden Birdwatch.

We were getting a Stock Dove regularly last Euan which is always nice to see. Seem to have lost more species than gained though. Starlings are rare in the garden and haven’t had a Jackdaw in years. Greenfinches are very rare and no Lesser Redpolls for approx. 4 years.

Rich

We were getting a Stock Dove regularly last Euan which is always nice to see. Seem to have lost more species than gained though. Starlings are rare in the garden and haven’t had a Jackdaw in years. Greenfinches are very rare and no Lesser Redpolls for approx. 4 years.

Rich
I think the rise of plastic fascias has done for a lot of Starling breeding sites (we got them put in last summer and luckily the Starlings fledged the day the installers turned up) and perhaps sealing of modern buildings isn't doing Jackdaws any favours either.

We know Greenfinches have taken a hammering. Redpolls have always been erratic here: we have a consistent winter Siskin flock but the number of Redpolls attached varies year-to-year. This year I've seen one (whoopee). Loadsa Goldfinches - they love the Buddleia seeds in my back garden, too.

In central Farnborough Stock Doves are just flyovers, but garden sessions generally score, its just a matter of keeping an eye out.

This winter we had the Redwings in, stripping our Hollies, but they've had the lot now so we are back to seeing them across the brook. Once in a while a couple come in to make absolutely sure there aren't any berries left.

John

We used to have an old bungalow near us John. Jackdaws used to nest there. Been levelled now though.

Starlings are regular no more than 200 metres away. Just don’t favour our garden.

Noticing a big increase in Wood Pigeons. Not so much in the garden itself but several roost in the conifers next to the house.

Rich

Across the ocean in the Southwestern US here...I've gotten so many birds I've never seen before since I started feeding in earnest last summer. Currently, my favorite is the solo Say's Phoebe who has been dutifully calling out for a mate for weeks. His sweet descending whistle is my constant companion most days. He has recently discovered the meal worms I put out for the pair of Greater Roadrunners who visit me. I'm sure it's not as much fun as catching insects on the fly for the agile Phoebe, but at least it's something until Spring emerges. I also have a pair of bold & sassy Woodhouse's Scrub Jays who snag peanuts from a patio table (and one even took a peanut from my hand!), the red shafted northern flicker has finally discovered the birdbath, a spotted towhee,
a curve billed thrasher, a Cooper's hawk, dozens of lesser goldfinches swarming the feeders everyday, several yellow rumped warblers, hopping dark-eyed juncos, flocks of robins, the requisite house finches and sparrows, and too many white wing doves to count (they eat all the seed like hogs at a trough!). I'm thrilled to have cultivated the hobby of backyard bird feeding and watching, probably one of the brightest spots to come out of 2020 for me. (Please let me know if I'm adding photos/video incorrectly as I'm new to this format. Thanks!)
View attachment 28885B63-2129-4A4F-96E6-1E157C22D1EC_2_0_a.mov
7E29D4B4-5792-4CA9-87EE-D3E499E8099B_1_201_a.jpeg33DF9BDA-727B-4569-83F5-FF936017541F_1_201_a.jpeg

Interesting question for me. Having just moved into my current house, a week of observations, revealed nothing but a Robin and one Woodpigeon. Now with a bit of feed and some water, started getting, two Robins, couple of Dunnock and Blackbirds, two Blue Tits and two Great Tits and if I chuck some bread out a large flock, 23 the highest count, of Black Headed Gulls. A lot of work to do to improve the garden for the birds. So for me I have a lot more visiting :)

It took a year for starlings to be seen in our small London garden, now we can get 40+. Collared doves have just started to appear after three years.

On the other hand, there are no more mistle thrushes or goldfinches to be seen which were previously a daily occurrence, plus our first blackbirds in almost a year decided to show up last week.

I've been getting a lot more Golden-crowned Sparrows then before. In previous winters we would get one or two, now it's regular to get 10. Bewick's Wren are new, I've only heard them from far away previously. Pygmy Nuthatch are now regular. Hairy Woodpecker is regular, almost outnumbering Downy now. Spotted Owl are calling almost nightly now. Lastly, Purple Finch have been regular this winter, we'll see if they stay to breed this summer.

Brambling. For years I wished for one to appear in the garden due to our close proximity to beech trees, but nothing. That was until 4 years ago. Now single birds often turn up with chaffinches each winter but they don't hand around for long, usually for one day only. Makes me watch finch flocks in the garden with much more scrutiny. Great bird.

Si

No one else seen one of these in their garden then! He stayed for 3 days visiting the feeder for sunflower hearts but moved on two days ago.
Unfortunately the weather has changed for the worse, maybe he saw it was coming, but I hope he survives wherever he is!
Plum-headed Parakeet.jpg

No one else seen one of these in their garden then! He stayed for 3 days visiting the feeder for sunflower hearts but moved on two days ago.
Unfortunately the weather has changed for the worse, maybe he saw it was coming, but I hope he survives wherever he is!
View attachment 1378087
I had a Plum-headed Parakeet visit my feeders for a few weeks maybe 4 years ago. It was first spotted by my partner who described what she'd seen & I identified it from her description as I'd seen these in India. Fortunately I saw it the following day & noticeably smaller than the Ring-necked Parakeets that regularly visit.

Further back in time I had a pair of Senegal Parrots that were regular-one hanging around for about a year. The remaining individual started to hang around with the Ring-necks & was able to mimic them perfectly.

We are now getting 2 or 3 long tailed tits visiting for suet, but we are seeing a notable increase in squirrels :rolleyes:

I know of a place that regularly holds at least 2 Stock Doves, but I haven't seen one visit in years!

My grandparents have started getting a male blackcap, so with luck it might become regular and even find a mate and raise young.

I've been getting a lot more Golden-crowned Sparrows then before. In previous winters we would get one or two, now it's regular to get 10. Bewick's Wren are new, I've only heard them from far away previously. Pygmy Nuthatch are now regular. Hairy Woodpecker is regular, almost outnumbering Downy now. Spotted Owl are calling almost nightly now. Lastly, Purple Finch have been regular this winter, we'll see if they stay to breed this summer.

I love Wrens. They are the most secretive quicky birds. They love a spider.

We have a regular hawk. He is participating in eating the eggs my wife puts out for the crows. Yesterday the Vultures got in on it as well. Turkey and Black Vultures roost near our house.

1643470493533.png

It's been a dismal Winter at my feeders here in the PNW. :( The only new birds are a large flock of house sparrows that I can't deter. And I suspect they have something to do with some of my favorites avoiding the place. Only had one brief appearance from a Townsends Warbler, and the White-throated Sparrows have been scarce. Haven't seen my Downey Woodpecker at all!

Not really lived here long enough (8 month) to be absolutely certain but I’m regularly seeing a female Blackcap, which i first noticed 10 days ago.

Warning! This thread is more than 1 year ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back