• BirdForum is the net's largest birding community dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE!

Register for an account to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Birds which are 'living dead' (1 Viewer)

Diane D

United States
We were in Madagascar in 1992 when the presumed last Pochard in the world was in someone's garden in 'Tana. Can't remember which conservation organisation they were affiliated with. They refused to let us see it. It died fairly soon afterwards. I was thrilled when the species was rediscovered...
I remember hearing something about a few in captivity. That must be the one you were involved with. They we're rediscovered in a lake in the northwest but the reproduction was poor in that lake. wasn't the right ecology for Madagascar so survival ship of the young was bad. So they started taking eggs and built up some captive birds and then started breeding them in a more appropriate lake in the Northeast. In an upcoming trip we're going to be close.

I have to check all the details on whether it's tickable..... Since I don't think they're naturally breeding yet. But if they are you can get to them easier than the northwest birds.

DMW

I've seen three potentially extinct species: Jerdon's Courser, Slender-billed Curlew and Cebu Flowerpecker.

I fear that we will see a significant increase in extinctions in the next decade. There's a lot of species that have been clinging on that really do seem to be right on the brink. The combination of trapping, palm oil and climate change are really hitting some areas hard.

Users who are viewing this thread