• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Birds you have seen but want to see in summer plumage (1 Viewer)

wolfbirder

I have seen White-billed Diver in breeding plumage, but not Grey Phalarope nor Red-Flanked Bluetail. So lots of 1stW or winter plumage birds only.

Those 2 are top of my list. Any others?

I'll join the ranks longing for a sum-plum Grey Phal. I had the chance to see one at Brandon when we were living near Leamington Spa a few years ago, and was even on annual leave, but decided against it. Can't remember why. I'd also love to see a sum-plum Wilson's.

Caspian Plover, Ross's Gull, Blackpoll Warbler.
Other disappointing birds on my list are female Capercaillie, a number of weavers and worst of all juvenile Broad-tailed Paradise Whydah.
Twitching Grey Phalarope was well worth it!

Not really "summer plumage", but I have seen Long-tailed Duck a number of times, but never the (beautiful) adult male. It's always females or young males.

I have made great effort over the years to try and see species in the UK in adult breeding plumage, hence been fortunate to see many, but one species other than Grey Phalarope that I would love to see is an adult male Snowy Owl. An all-white beauty! Only seen heavily mottled immatures.

I agree with others, Long-tailed Duck is one of those species that very rarely looks way better in winter plumage than in breeding plumage.

Probably Lapland Longspur and Red-throated Pipit for me, I see both of these in really small numbers each year in California, but they're never in their breeding plumage.
Yes good shout! Lapland Bunting (as I think most Brits still call them) are lovely birds and I’ve seen them in faded summer plumage but never in bold, breeding plumage.

First one that came to mind here was Red-throated Loon/Diver. The vast majority molt after passing through our inland lakes, and then again before returning.

Also breeding male Mourning Warbler, which shouldn't be quite as difficult.

Great thread idea by the way!

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back