• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Birds you now record......... (1 Viewer)

Julie50

Mostly in the Midlands :)
Supporter
United Kingdom
I find I am now recording birds I would never have recorded before, e.g. crows and blackbirds.

I can no longer go to any of my usual haunts; Upton Warren, Middleton Lakes, Brandon Marsh. I am walking the leafier parts of southern Birmingham, from my home.

I now record in my book every species of bird I see, with the exception of Mallard and Ferrel pigeon. No idea why not a Mallard - just feels wrong!

Anyone else changed their habits?

I find I am now recording birds I would never have recorded before, e.g. crows and blackbirds.

I can no longer go to any of my usual haunts; Upton Warren, Middleton Lakes, Brandon Marsh. I am walking the leafier parts of southern Birmingham, from my home.

I now record in my book every species of bird I see, with the exception of Mallard and Ferrel pigeon. No idea why not a Mallard - just feels wrong!

Anyone else changed their habits?

Not exactly, though I know what you mean! Because I have been birding daily from my house and garden I am recording every bird species every day (variety rather than fanatical number crunching is my normal concern though on "normal" days I just record the highlights to save notebook space) with a side note if I record a singing male, a pair, an exceptional number of soaring kites and so on. Normally I would only do a full "day list" if I suspected the score might be exceptional e.g. a sweep through East Anglia in early May to knock off summer visitors and spring passage migrants in a single hit. At the moment anything that passes the heavy-hanging time is good....

I have no idea why you are ignoring Feral Pigeons, let alone Mallards. Either are more valid than Canada Geese, Mandarins or Little Owls. But it is good that you are reflecting on the matter! :t:

John

I find it interesting I record the Canada Geese! I have no idea why.

Had a cracking treecreeper sighting today :)

I know - I have been all over on holiday to the woolly wilds - and have my best sighting by the side of an old mill cut in the middle of Birmingham!

Puffins4life - I am wondering now if I should just record every single bird!

I record everything but Feral Pigeons and strange duck hybrids at the local pond. Mallards are fine if they are genuine. I will count Feral Pigeons if it's a contest of some sort.

But normally I wouldn't record stuff like Hooded Crows, Magpies, Collared Doves, etc. Probably not even Blackbirds and Wood Pigeons.

But normally I wouldn't record stuff like Hooded Crows, Magpies, Collared Doves, etc. Probably not even Blackbirds and Wood Pigeons.
I used to not record these species after a while (having seen them once in that country) on a lengthy trip abroad, and I really regretted it afterwards. Would've padded out my trip report and state/city lists for several places, many of which I'm unlikely to visit again any time soon.
Of course, it's different if it's your home city. And I don't really count the number of individuals either, unless I'm getting paid for it.

I record mostly everything I see when I'm out Birding even when I'm abroad and the place is full of House Sparrows or Fereal Pigeons, I don't normally want to record them because they are birds I see back home but end of the day they are still birds.

As a young birder in the 70s, we never recorded feral pigeons, they didn't 'count' on year / life lists either...yet at the same time I and my friends were happy to count pheasants, which have a lot less credibility than a feral pigeon.

Every day?

John

I can see how my statement could’ve been a little misleading.
In ordinary times every bird on every trip goes in the notebook.

Current, a log of each species I see in and over the garden and each bird I see on my birding/exercise walks.

It is using a lot of notebook space but the local supermarket has some very cheap offerings as replacements.
Of course the dilemma will be, what to do with them....
The garden stuff goes into the weekly BTO garden watch data

Last edited:
I can see how my statement could’ve a little misleading.
In ordinary times every bird on every trip goes in the notebook.

Current, a log of each species I see in and over the garden and each bird I see on my birding/exercise walks.

It is using a lot of notebook space but the local supermarket has some very cheap offerings as replacements.
Of course the dilemma will be, what to do with them....
The garden stuff goes into the weekly BTO garden watch data

Thank you for the clarification. The reason I asked is that I do have an entry for every day though normally it is just "highlights" (though that can just mean the wildfowl at work including the leucistic Greylag that has been with them for the last four years, and what time the foxes came to be fed.)

I am also going though notebook space at a rate of knots at the moment! :t:

John

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back