• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Birdwatching in Straits of Gibraltar & La Janda (9 Viewers)

In addition to the Richard´s pipit still being on site, La Janda is still producing good birds I saw male ,female and juvenile Pallid harriers on Saturday together with juvenile Spanish Imperial eagle and short eared owls.The latter drew my attention when being mobbed in flight by about 20 jackdaws and as I followed it suddenly swooped down and to my surprise a female Pallid harrier flew up from the ground and both birds continued to harrass each other before the harrier flew off.
Also seen yesterday but not by me Golden eagle and a barn swallow and red-rumped swallow.I do not know the direction of flight of the latter two but if it is Europe bound then it is very early indeed for both these species.
Photo distant view of the female Pallid harrier....Eddy

Attachments

• 2014-12-20 17.12.56-3 (640x417).jpg
    2014-12-20 17.12.56-3 (640x417).jpg
    88.5 KB · Views: 71
I'm visiting Gibraltar this weekend for the first time. Just wondering if there is anything of interest overwintering? Or any interesting sightings so far this year?

Thanks

Hello Mike,yes La Janda is turning up good birds Lesser spotted eagle still overwintering a first for this area,also Spanish Imperial,golden and booted eagles together with pallid harriers male female and juvenile seen.The first swallows have been seen entering from Africa and the bulbuls are at the same location in the centre of Tarifa.Also further afield a delaware gull has been and remains on the coast at Rota Audouins gull and stone curlews at Barbate white storks everywhere and the cranes and marsh harriers are still in La Janda.Regards ...Eddy

Hello Mike,yes La Janda is turning up good birds Lesser spotted eagle still overwintering a first for this area,also Spanish Imperial,golden and booted eagles together with pallid harriers male female and juvenile seen.The first swallows have been seen entering from Africa and the bulbuls are at the same location in the centre of Tarifa.Also further afield a delaware gull has been and remains on the coast at Rota Audouins gull and stone curlews at Barbate white storks everywhere and the cranes and marsh harriers are still in La Janda.Regards ...Eddy

Thanks for the info. With it being our first visit and only having a day and a half we only stuck to Gibraltar. Some nice views of what I understand to be regular overwintering birds (chiffchaff, black redstart, Sardinian warbler) but nothing else of note. A few gannets over the water, various gulls including 200+ black-headed at Europa Point and a few cormorants. To be honest this wasn't a hardcore birding adventure, just a chance to explore somewhere new I'd never been to before. I'll definitely be coming back in the future though with migration firmly in mind.

Thanks for the info. With it being our first visit and only having a day and a half we only stuck to Gibraltar. Some nice views of what I understand to be regular overwintering birds (chiffchaff, black redstart, Sardinian warbler) but nothing else of note. A few gannets over the water, various gulls including 200+ black-headed at Europa Point and a few cormorants. To be honest this wasn't a hardcore birding adventure, just a chance to explore somewhere new I'd never been to before. I'll definitely be coming back in the future though with migration firmly in mind.

You'd be daft not to come back. It's still one of the best areas for birding in Europe even when migration's not in full swing, but when birds are passing through in numbers it's world class! Check out my birding notes on the area (via my blog) for proof of this!

La Janda in January

Hi folks,yesterday together with three Spanish birders I went to La Janda at 8am in the morning and 3C.Our quest was to locate any of the illusive lesser spotted eagles that have been overwintering here for the first time.Our first view was of three bands of cranes flying in from the west as we entered from the Retina entrance then there were great flocks of lapwings taking to the air in the prescence of a raptor but which one.After a search a high speed merlin was sighted as it continued to scatter passerines in it´s path before it disappeared out of view.
From behind the agricultural buildings on the other side of the canal several marsh harriers were quartering including one full adult male,then coming in low just above the ground a grey ghost appeared,yes the adult male pallid harrier putting on a show but too distant for good photos.This area is where you can find this male harrier first thing in the morning and just before dark as it seems to roost in this area.
Further down in the rice paddies hundreds of white storks were feeding and four spoonbills we resting.A check of the legs revealed coloured plastic rings and the details of these were obtained and will be forwarded on.
A check at the site near the blue sluice gates did not reveal the Richard´s pipit and as no sightings have been reported lately one has to assume that it has moved on.Several common buzzards and kestrels were located on various electric poles and then something larger flew up to sit on a distant pole.Lesser spotted eagle perhaps and a quick dash in the car to get closer revealed it was "only" an adult Bonelli´s one of about 10 that were seen during the day.In the reedbeds along the canal reed buntings and penduline tits were seen the later being my first this winter and talking of firsts until this time I had not seen any golden plovers on La Janda this winter and then there were several flocks seen over the arrable fields.
As it was a still cold morning it was felt that the raptors would wait for the thermals to appear before moving off from their roosts and after checking every tree and pylon in the area we decided to move up to the Dehesa above the farm and there we found juvenile and female harriers and a disturbed short eared that had been on the ground near to road.Also seen about halfway down the road on the right were the two little owls that always seem to be on the low rocks to the east of the road.Ravens overflew this area and three common buzzards were flirting with each other plus more marsh harrier females.
We then moved to the Cañada that runs between Benalup and Facinas but with the exception of one beautiful adult Spanish eagle several more kestrels and a perched little owl very few other birds were seen in this area but in the distance we then saw where the cranes had gone to feed.Hundreds were on the fields nearer to Tahivilla.We then decided to return to the dehesa area for lunch and saw the only booted eagle of the day together with more views of the hen harriers and several adult and juvenile bonelli´s eagles and it was apparent to those watching that the raptors had waited for the air to warm before setting off to feed.After lunch we returned to the western canal to search the eucalyptus trees for the the lesser spotted eagle but it still eluded us .An osprey flew over and circled in a thermal before heading north,more marsh harrier females and then on the ride back to the retina entrance a male pergrine flew in and landed on a pylon and whilst looking at the we noticed two dead white storks on a bank in the rice paddies.They had hit the wires that crisscross this area.After taking photos for documentation purposes and possible denouncement.Also seen at this time 10 spoonbills flying in formation overhead and with this we left the area for a well earned beer.Sadly no lesser spotted but a good day bright blue skies wall to wall sunshine and temperatures that reached a very pleasant 18 C by mid afternoon.
Also reported yesterday was the fact that the Tarifa Bulbuls are now singing in the car park in the town.
Kind regardes to all ....Eddy.

Attachments

• 2015-01-11 13.44.37-3 (640x427).jpg
    2015-01-11 13.44.37-3 (640x427).jpg
    117.8 KB · Views: 69
  • 2015-01-11 13.45.31-1 (640x467).jpg
    2015-01-11 13.45.31-1 (640x467).jpg
    138.6 KB · Views: 75
  • 2015-01-11 16.51.31-1 (640x502).jpg
    2015-01-11 16.51.31-1 (640x502).jpg
    101.8 KB · Views: 67
Sounds like a good day out Eddy. I'm flying out Thursday week for a long weekend. Hope to be out there at La Janda weather permitting. Which car park in Tarifa?

Good morning John,if entering Tarifa from the east N340,carry on down the hill past Lidl towards town centre.There is a junction on your left where you can see the old walls,turn here down a cobbled street and the car park is second on the left.Last time I was there it was free.I have found in the past that the bulbuls tend to be early risers so I would suggest first light as the best time to see them in the trees near and in the car park.Best of luck....Eddy

Good morning John,if entering Tarifa from the east N340,carry on down the hill past Lidl towards town centre.There is a junction on your left where you can see the old walls,turn here down a cobbled street and the car park is second on the left.Last time I was there it was free.I have found in the past that the bulbuls tend to be early risers so I would suggest first light as the best time to see them in the trees near and in the car park.Best of luck....Eddy

Knockout, thanks Eddy!

Lesser spotted eagle

After spending eight or more hours on Sunday in an attempt to get one of the elusive Lesser spotted eagles on La Janda I took a days photographic course yesterday that took me to La Janda again and yes you have guessed it we disturbed a LSE in a tree top where the cattle egrets nest and got some good albeit distant views of this cracking bird.Just goes to show when you are more relaxed and not so intent things can happen for the better.
Also went into the car park in Tarifa for the bulbuls but some prat had blocked anothers car in and that driver just sat blaring his horn for 15 mins until the Police came.Not a bird in sight.Regards... Eddy.

Attachments

• 2015-01-13 14.05.23 (640x427).jpg
    2015-01-13 14.05.23 (640x427).jpg
    75.4 KB · Views: 85
After spending eight or more hours on Sunday in an attempt to get one of the elusive Lesser spotted eagles on La Janda I took a days photographic course yesterday that took me to La Janda again and yes you have guessed it we disturbed a LSE in a tree top where the cattle egrets nest and got some good albeit distant views of this cracking bird.Just goes to show when you are more relaxed and not so intent things can happen for the better.
Also went into the car park in Tarifa for the bulbuls but some prat had blocked anothers car in and that driver just sat blaring his horn for 15 mins until the Police came.Not a bird in sight.Regards... Eddy.

SUPERB!!! Very very envious

Hi I have searched for Retina on Googlemaps, I would love to try for the Pallid Harrier male at La Janda, but obviously best chance is when it leaves or arrives for roost.

Any further detail of where to watch the roost would be appreciated.

Is Seville the nearest airport or Malaga?

Photo course

Hi Eddie, read your thread regarding the photographic course. Im birding in the area this March and would be very grateful if you could recommend me the agency who run the photographic course you mention, is it for bird photography, dslr, bridge cameras?

Any info regarding pricing, value for money or any other info would be most welcome,

Cheers.

Wolfbirder Gibraltar is the nearest airport with flights from Manchester,Luton,Gatwick and Heathrow La Janda is only 1 hour west of Gib.I am not saying that the male pallid harrier always roosts here but it is the place where I normally see it.When you enter from the N340 opposite the Zahara turn go down the track until you get to the canal turn left along the track that runs alongside the canal and you will see some white buildings on the other side of the canal.The fields behind these buildings is where I have observed it the most since last October,there are some dark evergreen trees two fields back and this where I think it roosts.I hope this helps,regards ...Eddy

Wolfbirder Gibraltar is the nearest airport with flights from Manchester,Luton,Gatwick and Heathrow La Janda is only 1 hour west of Gib.I am not saying that the male pallid harrier always roosts here but it is the place where I normally see it.When you enter from the N340 opposite the Zahara turn go down the track until you get to the canal turn left along the track that runs alongside the canal and you will see some white buildings on the other side of the canal.The fields behind these buildings is where I have observed it the most since last October,there are some dark evergreen trees two fields back and this where I think it roosts.I hope this helps,regards ...Eddy

Thank you very much Eddy very much appreciate that.

Hi I have searched for Retina on Googlemaps, I would love to try for the Pallid Harrier male at La Janda, but obviously best chance is when it leaves or arrives for roost.

Any further detail of where to watch the roost would be appreciated.

Is Seville the nearest airport or Malaga?

This map should help - the Retina entrance is 'g'. As well as flying into Gibraltar you can also fly into Jerez, which is a similar distance from la Janda, with Ryan Air via Stansted.

Attachments

• Map 33 La janda May 2014.png
    Map 33 La janda May 2014.png
    63.7 KB · Views: 67

Users who are viewing this thread

Back