• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Birdwatching in Straits of Gibraltar & La Janda (1 Viewer)

Heading out to Tarifa, I think the raptor passage has been very good the last few days? I see the wind direction is currently forecast westerly - so Algarrobo / Gib end of straits good rather than Cazalla? Any news from La Janda? And Los Lances?

Thanks ...... looking forward to it!

The sociable plover(s) wintering on La Janda surely deserve a mention from somebody, and a yellow-browed warbler that appears to be spending its third winter in Pelayo is also presumably notable.

Hi
We are spending a day in Cadiz on a cruise. Not sure where the cruise port is.
We'll have all day so looking for the nearest best birdwatching area whichis eithere walkable or reached by public transport. directions, distances or bus / train service details would be useful.
We'll be there at beginning of april
Thanks

Hi
We are spending a day in Cadiz on a cruise. Not sure where the cruise port is.
We'll have all day so looking for the nearest best birdwatching area whichis eithere walkable or reached by public transport. directions, distances or bus / train service details would be useful.
We'll be there at beginning of april
Thanks

The port area isn't huge so you should dock within walking distance of the train station. The train will quickly take you to San Fernando station from which a footpath (Sendero Salina Dolores) takes you along the edge of the salinas back towards Cadiz. I've not done the walk personally but you should pick up a few species. Alternatively, walk (or better still take a taxi) from the station for c3 km to a much better site, the Sendero Tres Amigos, which takes you into the salinas where you should find a variety of waders, Flamingos, Auduoin's Gull, Spoonbill, etc. You should also be able to catch a bus to the university campus and walk through the pines, across a foot bridge to the Valdegrama area. Ferries over to El Puerto can be fun too. For local buses see http://siu.cmtbc.es/es/lineas.php However, I would advise you to contact a local guide who could pick you up and allow you to get to more interesting sites by car which would open up the possibility of species like Crested Coot, White-headed Duck, etc. I should be in Spain in early April and would have been happy to take you out myself but I'm with friends so can't volunteer them as well. Send me a PM with your email and I'll send my detailed notes on birding in the area which should give you some ideas.

The port area isn't huge so you should dock within walking distance of the train station. The train will quickly take you to San Fernando station from which a footpath (Sendero Salina Dolores) takes you along the edge of the salinas back towards Cadiz. I've not done the walk personally but you should pick up a few species. Alternatively, walk (or better still take a taxi) from the station for c3 km to a much better site, the Sendero Tres Amigos, which takes you into the salinas where you should find a variety of waders, Flamingos, Auduoin's Gull, Spoonbill, etc. You should also be able to catch a bus to the university campus and walk through the pines, across a foot bridge to the Valdegrama area. Ferries over to El Puerto can be fun too. For local buses see http://siu.cmtbc.es/es/lineas.php However, I would advise you to contact a local guide who could pick you up and allow you to get to more interesting sites by car which would open up the possibility of species like Crested Coot, White-headed Duck, etc. I should be in Spain in early April and would have been happy to take you out myself but I'm with friends so can't volunteer them as well. Send me a PM with your email and I'll send my detailed notes on birding in the area which should give you some ideas.
Thanks John.
That's brilliant. I'll send you a PM.

Hi,
I have been looking at the forum to see if there is any sign of the pre nuptial migration starting, as I will be in the Tarifa area next week, but notice that no one has put anything on the site.
I would be interested to hear what the current situation is.
Thanks,
BillD

There have already been days with substantial numbers of black kites, short-toed eagles etc.. You can use previous years observations to get an idea of the timing.

I live about 50 kms NNW of Tarifa. So far we have seen 5 groups of Black kites, 50 in each group. Also a few swallows and a few small groups of Cranes and Storks.All these flying over my house. Not much so far but it is easy to miss them her, a few kms either side and you would never know about them. A few days of strong Levante(East wind) may not have helped. The numbers should increase very soon.
BillD: Send me a PM if you want to meet up.

We have had a really good three days in the Tarifa area with some exceptional birds.
We have to thank Gerald for taking the time to meet up with us and for showing us the bald ibis at La Barca, Vejer, one of the highlights of the trip.
La Janda was good, although drier than we have seen it in the past, with white storks, spoonbill, glossy ibis, good numbers of green sandpipers and snipe, a short toed eagle and two black winged kites.
Barbate marimas had two ospreys, a pair of yellow wagtails, red breasted merganser, avocet, Caspian tern and little stint.
Sierra de la Plata, blue rock thrush and peregrine.
Santuario and Cazalla watch points, hundreds of white storks, a few black storks, griffon vultures, black kites, short toed eagles, booted eagles and Egyptian vultures.
Tarifa town, thanks to the warden at Cazalla watch point for these, common bulbul and lesser kestrel.
Los lances held a number of waders golden, ringed, little ringed and Kentish plovers; dunlin, sanderling and curlew sandpiper. Raptors over were black kite, marsh harrier and short toed eagle. The other really top highlight was twenty two garganey on the sea, west of Tarifa Island. What a sight to finish the trip.
BillD

I am glad that you enjoyed the Ibis, and it was very nice to meet up with you.
If any else comes this way and wants to meet, send me a PM. Just be aware that I am only an amateur compared to the likes of Bill.

Sad News

Sad news today - frequent contributor to this thread, Eddy the Eagle - Edward Robert Eyles had passed away. He lived in Los Barios, Cadiz, Andalucia and was a supporter and keen member of the Amigos of the Laguna de la Janda in Spain. Rest in peace.

I'm shocked and very saddened to hear this news. Although I corresponded with Eddy a good few times, I met him all too infrequently and was disappointed not to bump into him on my recent trip to Spain. Condolences to his friends and family.

Just had a message this afternoon to say that Eddy is still alive, but very ill in hospital. There is apparently some confusion over the announcement yesterday.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back