• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Bittell Reservoirs and Hopwood area (2 Viewers)

Lower - Green Sandpiper still present 2.30pm

Upper - White-fronted Goose reported at lunchtime, still present at 3.30pm, roosting along the reservoir edge. Not viewable from the dam, need to head for the footpath to the north of the reservoir.

Upper absolutely full to the brim with water. Lower showing significant amounts of wader-friendly mud.
Also a Shag present early afternoon

A massive shelf of mud on the lower tank this afternoon. Let's hope it persists for migration. Only a handful of teal on it so far and an early white wagtail. In contrast the upper tank is brimful. Thankfully the paths have solidified from their quagmire state. The next few days will undo that.

DONT LAUGH........driving up from Lower/Mill Shrub to Hopwood about 6.30pm yesterday and caught a glimpse of 4 Very Large darkish birds coming into land at Upper. Very long trailing legs and necks but couldnt make out heads. Reminded me of Spoonbills....told ya not to laugh.......was anyone around to let me know if they saw anything like that or if anything around this morning ?

DONT LAUGH........driving up from Lower/Mill Shrub to Hopwood about 6.30pm yesterday and caught a glimpse of 4 Very Large darkish birds coming into land at Upper. Very long trailing legs and necks but couldnt make out heads. Reminded me of Spoonbills....told ya not to laugh.......was anyone around to let me know if they saw anything like that or if anything around this morning ?
Plenty of Grey Heron and a single Little Egret but nothing like Spoonbill when I was at Upper briefly about 9am.

Thanks....only put it on as I saw a pic on I think a Norfolk facebook site of 4 Cranes and it looked just like the image I had in my head...lol

Lower around 5.45pm.......a huge flock of Swallow/Martins (??) at far end of pool. Could just about make them out like a swarm of midges...had a few come a bit closer but still miles away.

Attachments

• 20.JPG
    20.JPG
    35.3 KB · Views: 2
  • 21.JPG
    21.JPG
    46.1 KB · Views: 3
  • 22.JPG
    22.JPG
    59.6 KB · Views: 3
  • 23.JPG
    23.JPG
    2.2 MB · Views: 3
  • 24.JPG
    24.JPG
    2.7 MB · Views: 2
Lower around 5.45pm.......a huge flock of Swallow/Martins (??) at far end of pool. Could just about make them out like a swarm of midges...had a few come a bit closer but still miles away.
I had similar on Friday afternoon about 3pm, from the canal side of Lower. Watched them for 15-20 mins, hoping to find all three species, and was successful. Mostly Sand Martin, 10+ House Martin and a couple of Swallow.

At least 4 LAPWING in fields around Coopers Hill, Alvechurch....aerial chasing etc.....

Attachments

• 1.JPG
    1.JPG
    247.1 KB · Views: 3
  • 2.JPG
    2.JPG
    252 KB · Views: 8
  • 3.JPG
    3.JPG
    191.9 KB · Views: 3
  • 4.JPG
    4.JPG
    721.8 KB · Views: 2
  • 5.JPG
    5.JPG
    552.7 KB · Views: 2
  • 6.JPG
    6.JPG
    230.5 KB · Views: 2
  • 7.JPG
    7.JPG
    201.5 KB · Views: 2
Grebes on Lower and rest were at Rugby Club Ash Lane........Nice Female Linnet...will be back to try for a Male

Attachments

• 2.JPG
    2.JPG
    904.2 KB · Views: 3
  • 1.JPG
    1.JPG
    529.1 KB · Views: 2
  • 3.JPG
    3.JPG
    480.8 KB · Views: 3
  • 4.JPG
    4.JPG
    630.4 KB · Views: 3
  • 5.JPG
    5.JPG
    722.2 KB · Views: 2
  • 5a.JPG
    5a.JPG
    503.6 KB · Views: 2
  • 6.JPG
    6.JPG
    270.6 KB · Views: 2
  • 8.JPG
    8.JPG
    549 KB · Views: 2
  • 6b.JPG
    6b.JPG
    944.6 KB · Views: 2
  • 9.JPG
    9.JPG
    698.7 KB · Views: 2
The Mandarin Duck Male on the canal running next to Lower is hanging around with a female Mallard and 1 chick...... I have heard that she had around 10 and they have all gone apart from this one.

Attachments

• _MG_3906.JPG
    _MG_3906.JPG
    552.8 KB · Views: 2
  • _MG_3954.JPG
    _MG_3954.JPG
    962.3 KB · Views: 2
  • _MG_3999.JPG
    _MG_3999.JPG
    558.6 KB · Views: 2
Loads of FIELDFARE still around in fields at the Cobley Hill / Grange Lane / Stoney Lane triangle......also Lapwing and Jackdaw.

Attachments

• _MG_4190.JPG
    _MG_4190.JPG
    355.6 KB · Views: 5
  • _MG_4177.JPG
    _MG_4177.JPG
    577.3 KB · Views: 5
LOWER..MIDDAY....Common Sandpiper on overflow concrete and Reed Warblers on reeds...lots of Swallow feeding low down.

A shot off back of camera

Attachments

• 20210428_144728.jpg
    20210428_144728.jpg
    631.4 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back