• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Bittern in breeding condition? (1 Viewer)

Brett Richards

United Kingdom
In the first attached image, photographed at Thornwick Pool, Flamborough, on 25 April 2021, the bird shows a swollen yellow band from above the eye to the bill, and the gape line is similarly slightly swollen. The bird in the second image, photographed at the same spot on 15 February shows no indications of such features. Are these swollen areas indicative of a bird in breeding condition, or is it just down to individual variation? Could they be the same bird?

Brett044a for BirdForum.jpgBittern, Thornwick Pool, Flamborough, 15 Feb 21 (2).jpg

I am not an expert, but I read that breeding Bittern should show sky-blue, not yellow lores.
See:
I wouldn't describe the yellow bands as the lores, rather as supra-loral & sub-loral stripes. Strange that nothing like this is mentioned in the paper you referenced. I would describe the lores on the first bird (the one with the yellow bands) as greyish (female?) and on the second bird as bluish-grey, although at that time of year (15 February) both sexes should show greyish-olive (more or less brownish-tinged) or entirely geyish lores according to the paper.

Brett

I think you may have two individuals. The bird in the second photo appears to have a darker (blackish) crown, more clearly defined pale stripe above the lores and less heavily marked sides to the breast. Possibly also a longer bill but that's hard to judge.
Whether the yellow in the loral area is individual variation, variation by age/sex, or related to breeding condition, I don't know.

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back