• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Black bird in Sylvan Lake, SD, USA (1 Viewer)

MaxesTaxes

Netherlands
Hi everyone,
I'm looking through my photos from last summer in the central US - this bird I'm having trouble identifying. I'm using Merlin and the Sibley Birds West book, and my closest match for now is a female Brewer's Blackbird but I'm not totally convinced (partly because the species is noted as being uncommon in my date and location on Merlin, and also because my bird seems to have a much darker head and a slightly more downcurved bill). So is my current ID correct? Given that I'm European, I am still very unfamiliar with American species, so apologies if I am way off.
Photographed at Sylvan Lake, South Dakota, on the 10th of July 2022.
Thanks in advance,
Max

Attachments

• P1070505c.JPG
    P1070505c.JPG
    186.4 KB · Views: 41
  • P1070511c.JPG
    P1070511c.JPG
    152.2 KB · Views: 41
Quite likely common grackle. Note long wedge-tipped tail, and bill-shape.
Okay thanks. Would this be a juvenile then? In the pictures I'm seeing it seems as though adult grackles have a distinctive yellow/white iris, which is lacking in my bird.

Warning! This thread is more than 1 year ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back