• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Black Butterfly (or Moth?) (1 Viewer)

Kostrow

Hello everyone,

I am not at all a bird, butterfly, or moth expert, and I was hoping to reach out to this forum for your collective expertise. I would like to get a meaningful tattoo soon. When my childhood dog (a Black Russian Terrier) passed away, I went for a walk, and upon passing a small but lush creek, a black butterfly flew next to me. Or so I thought. Now, when I Google images of black butterflies that live in Southwestern Ontario, the only results show Black Swallowtails and other butterflies that are black, but still have some colouration. The one that I saw was brilliantly black. It even shone. I think it may have been a little fuzzy around its head, too. This happened a year ago, in the Summer.

Was this a butterfly that didn't show on a basic Google search? Was it a moth? A melanic butterfly?

If you have any thoughts, do let me know. :scribe:

Some butterflies have black underwings. Is it possible you just didn't see the upperwing of the butterfly?

Hope this helps,
Louis

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back