• BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE!

You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Black capped chickadee nesting (1 Viewer)

Darla

Hi!
I have had a black capped chickadee build a nest in my wreath on the front door. We found that she was laying eggs and the last we saw was that she had layers 5 eggs. We saw her sitting on her eggs only one time and since then the hair lining of the nest has been fluffed very tall and we haven’t seen her since. How do we know if she may have abandoned her eggs and nest? We have tried to protect activity around our front door so that she felt safe so I’m wondering if something may have happened to her. The last time we actually saw her in the nest was on March 28th. Just want to hear thoughts from others about their experience. We hope to see babies in there but now I’m concerned that these eggs won’t be able to hatch. Thank you.

txpossum

United States
Hi!
I have had a black capped chickadee build a nest in my wreath on the front door. We found that she was laying eggs and the last we saw was that she had layers 5 eggs. We saw her sitting on her eggs only one time and since then the hair lining of the nest has been fluffed very tall and we haven’t seen her since. How do we know if she may have abandoned her eggs and nest? We have tried to protect activity around our front door so that she felt safe so I’m wondering if something may have happened to her. The last time we actually saw her in the nest was on March 28th. Just want to hear thoughts from others about their experience. We hope to see babies in there but now I’m concerned that these eggs won’t be able to hatch. Thank you.
Hi there! Last year I had the black-capped nest in the top of an old fence post. There was no protection from rain at all. (so much about them needing a 1/4 inch opening), I was worried, too, and would walk by quickly and glance down into the hole. She also had 5 eggs. But as summer went on I'd see activity at the fence post, and they had five healthy fledglings! I guess all you can do is hope they know what they're doing.Good luck! : )

Users who are viewing this thread