• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Black Harrier - Cape Town area (3 Viewers)

mr_birdman

No longer a Canon Snob.
Australia
My partner and I are in Cape Town for three days next July.

The raptor I would actually love to see and photograph well is the Black Harrier. Have any of you got any reliable locations where we can see this bird with reliability? I will have my ghillie suit with me.

We will have a car and can travel say about 2-3 hours either way out of CT.

Many thanks for any suggestions.

It might also be worth contacting Trevor Hardaker, as he lives in CT and I'm sure he'd be delighted to give you up to date gen. I've sent him a PM to make him aware I've dropped him in it, he's a great bloke so I'm sure he'll get in touch!

Stu

It's been a couple year since I lived in Cape Town, but West Coast NP was always my go-to for Black Harrier. You should have a decent chance just driving along R27. Plus, there are some other great birds along the Darling Flower Route so it's definitely worth spending a day in the area!

Cheers,
Benji

It's been a couple year since I lived in Cape Town, but West Coast NP was always my go-to for Black Harrier. You should have a decent chance just driving along R27. Plus, there are some other great birds along the Darling Flower Route so it's definitely worth spending a day in the area!

Cheers,
Benji

Thanks Benji.
I'll have an extra day up my sleeve now in Cape Town, so will probably make that a day out in its entirety.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back