• BirdForum is the net's largest birding community dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE!

Register for an account to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Black-headed gull ID NJ (1 Viewer)

NJBirder12

Saw this guy in Manasquan today and there have been black-headed gulls confirmed there the last few days. This bird looks right to me but looking for confirmation that it's a black-headed gull.

Thanks

Attachments

• black headed gull 1.jpg
    black headed gull 1.jpg
    109.6 KB · Views: 67
  • black headed gull 2.jpg
    black headed gull 2.jpg
    130.5 KB · Views: 69

KC Foggin

Super Moderator
Staff member
Opus Editor
Supporter
United States
Are you guys sure it isn't an immature Laughing Gull? Black-headed Gulls aren't found here in the US.

NJBirder12

Are you guys sure it isn't an immature Laughing Gull? Black-headed Gulls aren't found here in the US.
There are laughing gulls at this inlet - just a few this time of year. The bill shape/ color combo and other features don't seem consistent in the photos I've checked out. But this is my first time seeing this particular species :)

Microtus

Maryland USA (he/him)
Supporter
United States
KC, I've seen Black-headed Gulls in four different states and the District of Columbia, and even found one myself. Laughing Gulls have a different wing pattern, lacking the white wedge on the upperwing.

njlarsen

Gallery Moderator
Opus Editor
Supporter
Barbados
This would have to be either Black-headed or Bonapartes. As a non-expert, I had to check a little but I agree Black-headed (which I have only seen east of the Atlantic)

Niels

tom baxter

They are regular (although scarce) visitors to the northern latitudes of the Atlantic coast, as well as the Great Lakes. There are a few places in NJ where they are reliably seen every year.

Joern Lehmhus

Yes, a blackheaded gull- not that the confirmation is necessary, but what i find interesting is that there even have been breeding records in North America, mainly eastern Canada:

NJBirder12

Confirmed by multiple observers and on ebird. There are actually 2 in the area!! So cool. Thanks for all the info!!

Users who are viewing this thread