• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Black or Pigeon Guillemots? (1 Viewer)

This was taken on April 10th, 2022 at Roche Harbor on San Juan Island, WA. Because this was on the West coast, I'm assuming these are Pigeon Guillemots? I don't see the "broad black wedge across each white wing patch" that All About Birds mentions. Thoughts?

Another question I have: is it possible for Black Guillemots to be found on the West coast, or are they only to be found on the East coast?

Thanks!

Attachments

• 4L4A9894.jpg
    4L4A9894.jpg
    5.5 MB · Views: 54
  • 4L4A9900.jpg
    4L4A9900.jpg
    5.7 MB · Views: 53
  • 4L4A9908.jpg
    4L4A9908.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 55
These are all Pigeon Guillemots. Black Guillemot has not been seen south of Alaska in the Pacific Ocean, according to eBird. There are many eBird records on/along the northern and western coasts of Alaska. There are a few records near Seward and near Valdez on the south coast, and one at Ketchikan on the southeast coast. There are no accepted records for Washington State (Washington State Checklist – Washington Ornithological Society).

The broad black wedge is present on your birds. Just like the first adult photo in All About birds, its presence makes the white wing patch smaller than the white wing patch on Black Guillemot (Pigeon Guillemot Similar Species to, All About Birds, Cornell Lab of Ornithology).

My modest contribution: I have never seen Pigeon Guillemots but a look at photos on Google images of PG's seem to indicate the black wedge or wedges not always being obvious evident or apparent. I am guessing these wedges depending on the posture of the bird, could be disguised or out of sight to a large degree or seeming to be somewhat foreshortened. It appears the partially "in view" wedges in these instances cause the white wing patch especially at the lower edge to appear somewhat "ragged" in shape as seen with your photo's. In contrast the white wing patch of the BG usually as far as I can see has "smooth edges".
I did notice -in your pics some of the birds do seem to show a hint of black wedges.
Another thing I noticed in Google images was that Pigeon Guillemots seem to have a somewhat pale (ish) eye ring whereas with the Black Guillemot any paleness of eye ring seems to be either totally absent or meagre. It seems to myself that with the birds of your photographs these pale (ish) "spectacles" are readily apparent. This feature evidently as far as I can see would thus indicate likelihood of them being PG's and not BG's. I have not seen pronounced eye rings like these on photos of Black guillemots.
I have not seen any articles or field guides comparing the two apart from the brief reference mentioned by Microtus above. However I would like to see such an article or description comparison myself if possible if any does exist.

Last edited:
Agree, OP must be Pigeon Guillemot.
I saw Pigeon Guillemot many years ago in San Francisco and my impression was of a smaller, differently shaped bird to Black G (it really is about the size and shape of a feral pigeon). It is also noticeably lighter in colour, more a dark charcoal grey than black, with even a tiny hint of purple to my eyes

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back