• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
Feel the intensity, not your equipment. Maximum image quality. Minimum weight. The new ZEISS SFL, up to 30% less weight than comparable competitors.

Black or Red Kite? (France) (1 Viewer)

Gduff

Hi,
I've seen this Kite above La Dune du Pilat (W France) 3 days ago.
I'd rather go with a Red Kite, but I'm not that sure...
Can you confirm?

Thanks

Attachments

• _MG_1729.jpg
    _MG_1729.jpg
    323.1 KB · Views: 59
  • _MG_1732.jpg
    _MG_1732.jpg
    324.1 KB · Views: 60
  • _MG_1735.jpg
    _MG_1735.jpg
    323.5 KB · Views: 58

Alexander Stöhr

Hello,
I agree with you, Butty and KC, its a Red Kite. Maybe your were puzzled by the following points?
  • upper-tail seems earth-brown, lacking obvious pale orangey-brown hues= ID book Red Kite (edit: still the wrong/unusual at least hue in the lightened picture. Thanks KC!)
  • your bird lacks the pale grey head, set off against a orangey-brown body. Instead it shows a dark mask, more often present in Black Kites.
  • Adding the worn and bleached inner primaries, a moult gap in the inner wing (?), I think this is a 2cy bird.
I was alerted to this again by Toms comment in a recent thread. Thanks, Tom!

Gduff

Hello,
I agree with you, Butty and KC, its a Red Kite. Maybe your were puzzled by the following points?
  • upper-tail seems earth-brown, lacking obvious pale orangey-brown hues= ID book Red Kite (edit: still the wrong/unusual at least hue in the lightened picture. Thanks KC!)
  • your bird lacks the pale grey head, set off against a orangey-brown body. Instead it shows a dark mask, more often present in Black Kites.
  • Adding the worn and bleached inner primaries, a moult gap in the inner wing (?), I think this is a 2cy bird.
I was alerted to this again by Toms comment in a recent thread. Thanks, Tom!
Thanks for your interesting reply.
I was confused by 4 things:
1. unusual sighting at this time of year (never recorded before on Faune Aquitaine in April around Bassin d'Arcachon (or maybe hidden data)). I had built a list of possible birds, and Red Kite wasn't in there, which is why I didn't think of it
2. the not-so-forked tail, not rufous, didn't catch my eyes
3. i thought the light panel on primaries was also a Black Kite feature, but after checking books it's too white to be a Black Kite wing
4. my observation was really short, because I was on family vacation...

Thank you again, I don't think Kites separation is that obvious in many cases.

Users who are viewing this thread