• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Black Scoter - Uk (1 Viewer)

bonxie birder

Going for the One
United Kingdom
Not a usual posting on this thread.

I‘ve tried for this bird on each of the last two days. Despite others finding it, I have failed on both occasions, seeing only common scoter. I‘m looking for an obvious yellow knob. One bird looked very yellow-billed head on but Collins suggests that Common have a yellow bill appearance from some distance. Is there something I’m missing? Am I seeing it, but not picking it out? In both days the light has been fairly poor.

There aren’t scoter and someone else is picking it out. I’m just wondering what I’m missing?
Bonxie, I think you might find a read of this article helpful

This video refresher might also help

Good luck if you try again!

Last edited:
The only advice I can offer is when I went looking for one off the north coast of Wales I made sure there was a southerly wind so that the bird was tending to face towards us - then it was easy to pick out.

Good luck next time.

Roy

The only advice I can offer is when I went looking for one off the north coast of Wales I made sure there was a southerly wind so that the bird was tending to face towards us - then it was easy to pick out.

Good luck next time.

Roy
Interestingly I saw that bird and remember picking it up almost immediately

I have no experience with Black Scoter, but here a some pictures that show vagrant Black Scoters among Common Scoter: https://club300.de/gallery/?gal=0&mode=1&id=174
Hope its helpfull finding it
Thank you, I think I can safely say I didn’t see it.

Most bird photos you come across are close up single bird shots, but these ones are the view you would normally get when out birding, so are very helpful, as they show a direct comparison with the birds you are actually likely to see them with.

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back