• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
Feel the intensity, not your equipment. Maximum image quality. Minimum weight. The new ZEISS SFL, up to 30% less weight than comparable competitors.

Black Swift part ii (1 Viewer)

Nickk

These photos were taking at a different time than the others I posted earlier that seem to be of a White-throated Swift. I increased brightness to the maximum on one of these (attached) and I don't see any white on the throat. Is the shape good for Black Swift and can they be safely IDed as such? Photos taken in June at Yosemite Valley, California

Attachments

• 223205a.jpg
    223205a.jpg
    276 KB · Views: 20
  • 223206a.jpg
    223206a.jpg
    277.6 KB · Views: 20
  • 223208a.jpg
    223208a.jpg
    258.8 KB · Views: 21
  • 223209a.jpg
    223209a.jpg
    251.5 KB · Views: 20
  • 223209b.jpg
    223209b.jpg
    148.6 KB · Views: 19

njlarsen

Gallery Moderator
Opus Editor
Supporter
Barbados
Agree with Butty. Shape is also really difficult to judge (though I feel it is promising). However, I think you overlooked that we did feel both species were present among the set in the previous thread.

Niels

Nickk

Agree with Butty. Shape is also really difficult to judge (though I feel it is promising). However, I think you overlooked that we did feel both species were present among the set in the previous thread.

Niels
Niels,

Black Swift would be a lifer for me so I want to be sure of the ID. I went back and found images of one of the 2 swifts that are in focus and changed the brightness level and you can see some white but at then again the wings are washed out at that level so I am not sure what to say...

Attachments

• WTSW_223191b.jpg
    WTSW_223191b.jpg
    67.3 KB · Views: 9
  • WTSW_223189c.jpg
    WTSW_223189c.jpg
    15.7 KB · Views: 9
  • WTSW_223189a.jpg
    WTSW_223189a.jpg
    16.3 KB · Views: 11
  • Swift.jpg
    Swift.jpg
    84.9 KB · Views: 13
  • WTSW_223191d.jpg
    WTSW_223191d.jpg
    13.5 KB · Views: 11

rkj

Niels,

Black Swift would be a lifer for me so I want to be sure of the ID. I went back and found images of one of the 2 swifts that are in focus and changed the brightness level and you can see some white but at then again the wings are washed out at that level so I am not sure what to say...
Say you do not have enough evidence to confirm it. Gives you an excuse to go back to Yosemite.

Butty

Is your pic 4 in the last batch the same composite image that you posted in your other thread? I'm confused. Anyway, everything in that is clearly white-throated swift except for the ones labelled 3 which are unidentifiable. Many birds one sees are unidentifiable - perfectly normal.

Nickk

Is your pic 4 in the last batch the same composite image that you posted in your other thread? I'm confused. Anyway, everything in that is clearly white-throated swift except for the ones labelled 3 which are unidentifiable. Many birds one sees are unidentifiable - perfectly normal.
Thanks - I have amassed plenty of UFOs through the years so no worries there

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread