• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Black-throated or Red-throated Diver? (1 Viewer)

Pavel

ID please, from today off shore in line with coastal Lake Durankulak, NE Bulgaria.

Attachments

• stellata_OK.jpg
    stellata_OK.jpg
    217.7 KB · Views: 197
  • SP_ID.jpg
    SP_ID.jpg
    221.2 KB · Views: 169
Thanks Pavel, Pity the images aren’t more definitive, the default Gavia based on the 1st image would be Black-throated Diver, don’t know how regular that might be in your country at this time?

Cheers

Thanks Pavel, Pity the images aren’t more definitive, the default Gavia based on the 1st image would be Black-throated Diver, don’t know how regular that might be in your country at this time?

Cheers
Black-throated would be the norm, but Red-throated is far from uncommon Ken.

Chris

@Pavel: that's an Arctic loon for three reasons:

• face pattern
  • bulge on the forehead (pic one)
  • the darkly demarcated transition to the white fore neck

P.S.: Pavel, maybe we'll meet one day, me and a birding buddy visited Branta Birding Lodge in May 2010, lucky with the Paddyfield Warbler at lake Durankulak and the delicious crayfish your wife made for us .. while You've been birding somewhere (I think it was Belarus?). Maybe You can send her many thanks and greetings from Stefan and Leo!

P.S.: Pavel, maybe we'll meet one day, me and a birding buddy visited Branta Birding Lodge in May 2010, lucky with the Paddyfield Warbler at lake Durankulak and the delicious crayfish your wife made for us .. while You've been birding somewhere (I think it was Belarus?). Maybe You can send her many thanks and greetings from Stefan and Leo!
Yup, Tatiana sure is a good cook!

Chris

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back