• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Black & white striped large bird w/ flock of Grackles USA,PA Delaware County (1 Viewer)

Bcat2010

United States
Hi, I need help with identifying a bird I bird a saw this morning which was very interesting. A large flock of Grackles perhaps 30 or more flew into my backyard & on my bird feeders early this morning. But what what really stood out was a bird of similar size but but its coloring was black and white stripe from the head thru wings. bold black stripes. It was so striking bc it stood out amongst this entire flock of Gackles, it was obviously part of the flock. unfortunately I didn’t get a picture this time, I suspect this flock will return & I hope to obtain one next time. It definitely had no other colorations on its body from what I could see. I wish I could give you more ID informatiom but I think I was taken back this one striped bird amongst all these black iridescent bird. It definitely wasn’t a woodpecker. I live in eastern PA, Delaware County to be exact. Any ideas or thoughts would be great, much appreciate.
Thank you
bcat

Hi, I need help with identifying a bird I bird a saw this morning which was very interesting. A large flock of Grackles perhaps 30 or more flew into my backyard & on my bird feeders early this morning. But what what really stood out was a bird of similar size but but its coloring was black and white stripe from the head thru wings. bold black stripes. It was so striking bc it stood out amongst this entire flock of Gackles, it was obviously part of the flock. unfortunately I didn’t get a picture this time, I suspect this flock will return & I hope to obtain one next time. It definitely had no other colorations on its body from what I could see. I wish I could give you more ID informatiom but I think I was taken back this one striped bird amongst all these black iridescent bird. It definitely wasn’t a woodpecker. I live in eastern PA, Delaware County to be exact. Any ideas or thoughts would be great, much appreciate.
Thank you
bcat
Like this??

Attachments

• 20220105_115411.jpg
    20220105_115411.jpg
    64.2 KB · Views: 59
  • Screenshot_20220105-114542_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20220105-114542_Gallery.jpg
    344.6 KB · Views: 59
I don't know. Trying to figure that out... I have always loved birds and animals but am not what you would call a "birder" so my knowledge is very limited..
A Pileated Woodpecker as noted on your thread, which would not be in a flock of grackles.

Thank you
bcat

I have seen partially leucistic Red-winged Blackbirds and also Grackles in large flocks. Some have had several white wing feathers, and one had a white head while the rest of it was normally colored. The ones with white wing feathers were symmetrical, with matching white feathers on the left and the right.

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back