• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

blackbird (1 Viewer)

PearlH

Since last autumn, I lost my resident male blackbird, sadly I witnessed him being attacked by a Kestrel in the garden, I tried to shoo him a way but he flew off with the blackbird in his talons. I love Kestrels and understand that is what they do unfortunately. Ever since. I have been waiting for another blackbird to take his place and claim my garden as his bit of territory. But, instead of a male blackbird, I have a very aggressive female blackbird who has claimed my garden as her favourite spot, she even sits under the hydrangea and flies out when any other bird comes down to feast on grapes, apple I have put out. She won't let any other bird in the garden, even chases away the males that come in. Shame really , I miss seeing blackbirds visiting my garden but they don't stand a chance. I am wondering if this female is a Scandinavian female, as she seems so much more possessive of her chosen territory , which happens to be my garden. Last year I used to have the male and female come to me when I had grapes, they got to used to my presence and as soon as I went out the garden they would come to me as they loved the grapes I gave them or meal worms.

Firstly are you sure it was a Kestrel and not a Sparrowhawk? Kestrels will take small birds, but a Blackbird is getting a bit on the large side. Still possible for sure, but unusual.

I wouldn't worry about the situation re the female - if your garden is good breeding territory and there are males in the vicinity then 'love will conquer all'. At the moment maintaining and improving her health and fitness to breed will be her priority, and scaring off all comers (males included) will be part of that focus.

Mick

Firstly are you sure it was a Kestrel and not a Sparrowhawk? Kestrels will take small birds, but a Blackbird is getting a bit on the large side. Still possible for sure, but unusual.

I wouldn't worry about the situation re the female - if your garden is good breeding territory and there are males in the vicinity then 'love will conquer all'. At the moment maintaining and improving her health and fitness to breed will be her priority, and scaring off all comers (males included) will be part of that focus.

Mick

Thanks Mick, You may well be right, it could have been a Sparrow hawk I think Kestrels are a bit smaller , they are beautiful birds though.

The female blackbird I have is extremely fit and quick off the mark if any other bird comes in the garden, but I don't wan't her to deter other birds. She can be very noisy too. I put black grapes out they love them, and the males make a quick dive for one before she can chase him off. It is funny to watch the male's strategy , waiting on the fence then quickly swooping down when he gets his chance.|;|

Another question I wanted to ask was, do Scandinavian blackbirds visit in the winter and then return back to their country?

Another question I wanted to ask was, do Scandinavian blackbirds visit in the winter and then return back to their country?

They do, but they are indistinguishable from local birds, some of which might well have migrated to France/Spain. You really only know if the bird is ringed or has a distinguishing mark (like a missing toe, or deformed bill) where it was born and where it goes afterwards.

It's an urban myth that you can identify 'Scandinavian Blackbirds' in any other way than ring recoveries.

Mick

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back