• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Blackcap or Garden Warbler (1 Viewer)

Vivian Darkbloom

Has anyone any tips on distinguishing Blackcap from Garden Warbler, when you can hear a bird singing but it remains invisible?
General tips on aural Jizz would be really helpful.
Thanks
Robin

Garden Warbler tends to sing a shorter and more hurried song which it repeats every time it sings. Blackcap usually has more variation in both timing and notes and overall phrase. I find that some Blackcaps are very good at sounding like Garden Warblers, Garden Warblers much less good at sounding like Blackcaps, so before claiming Garden Warbler I prefer to see the bird.

Agree with almost every word Jane says, but not "shorter" if this means Garden Warbler's song phrase as a whole is short: it usually goes on a good deal longer than Blackcap.

Useful thread on this here.

Last edited:
Garden Warbler tends to sing a shorter and more hurried song which it repeats every time it sings. Blackcap usually has more variation in both timing and notes and overall phrase. I find that some Blackcaps are very good at sounding like Garden Warblers, Garden Warblers much less good at sounding like Blackcaps, so before claiming Garden Warbler I prefer to see the bird.
I had one of those confused blackcaps yesterday. To make it harder it was singing from the same bush where I photographed a garden warbler last spring and I'd gone there looking for a garden warbler this time.

The tip I often give novices on these birds is that blackcaps shout and garden warblers mumble. Often the blackcaps sub song can sound incredibly like garden warbler which to the unwary can prove challenging.

Si.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back