• BirdForum is the net's largest birding community dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE!

Register for an account to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Blocked chimney. (1 Viewer)

I'm cold

United Kingdom
We have put our boiler replacement on hold because Jackdaws were found to be nesting in our blocked chimney. There are lots of fledglings around now. I would like to know if it is safe for our work to go ahead yet. The chimney is extremely high so I dont know what's happening up there. Any advice is most welcome.

delia todd

If I said the wrong thing it was a Senior Moment
Staff member
Opus Editor
Supporter
Scotland
Hi I'm cold and a warm welcome to you from all the Staff and Moderators.

They usually only raise one brood each year. So if you're sure they've fledged you can go ahead and remove the nest.

It would be nice if you would consider providing them with an alternative for next year by installing a nest box for them: Jackdaw, Stock Dove and Little Owl Nest Boxes - The RSPB

I'm sure you will enjoy it here and I look forward to hearing your news.

Kits

Picture Picker
As explained in your previous thread, the incubation of the eggs can take 18-20 days and the young can fledge about 28-30 days later. You posted on 3 May, so I would estimate that it should be safe to start the work from about 28 June.

I'm cold

United Kingdom
Hi I'm cold and a warm welcome to you from all the Staff and Moderators.

They usually only raise one brood each year. So if you're sure they've fledged you can go ahead and remove the nest.

It would be nice if you would consider providing them with an alternative for next year by installing a nest box for them: Jackdaw, Stock Dove and Little Owl Nest Boxes - The RSPB

I'm sure you will enjoy it here and I look forward to hearing your news.
Thanks Delia. Im looking into buying a nest box for next years brood.

delia todd

If I said the wrong thing it was a Senior Moment
Staff member
Opus Editor
Supporter
Scotland
That would be great I'm cold. I'm sure you won't regret it really, they can be quite entertaining I think.

Users who are viewing this thread