• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Blocked chimney. (1 Viewer)

I'm cold

United Kingdom
We have put our boiler replacement on hold because Jackdaws were found to be nesting in our blocked chimney. There are lots of fledglings around now. I would like to know if it is safe for our work to go ahead yet. The chimney is extremely high so I dont know what's happening up there. Any advice is most welcome.

Hi I'm cold and a warm welcome to you from all the Staff and Moderators.

They usually only raise one brood each year. So if you're sure they've fledged you can go ahead and remove the nest.

It would be nice if you would consider providing them with an alternative for next year by installing a nest box for them: Jackdaw, Stock Dove and Little Owl Nest Boxes - The RSPB

I'm sure you will enjoy it here and I look forward to hearing your news.

As explained in your previous thread, the incubation of the eggs can take 18-20 days and the young can fledge about 28-30 days later. You posted on 3 May, so I would estimate that it should be safe to start the work from about 28 June.

Hi I'm cold and a warm welcome to you from all the Staff and Moderators.

They usually only raise one brood each year. So if you're sure they've fledged you can go ahead and remove the nest.

It would be nice if you would consider providing them with an alternative for next year by installing a nest box for them: Jackdaw, Stock Dove and Little Owl Nest Boxes - The RSPB

I'm sure you will enjoy it here and I look forward to hearing your news.
Thanks Delia. Im looking into buying a nest box for next years brood.

As explained in your previous thread, the incubation of the eggs can take 18-20 days and the young can fledge about 28-30 days later. You posted on 3 May, so I would estimate that it should be safe to start the work from about 28 June.
Thanks Kits.

That would be great I'm cold. I'm sure you won't regret it really, they can be quite entertaining I think.

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back