• BirdForum is the net's largest birding community dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE!

Register for an account to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Bloody Pipits again! (1 Viewer)

chris baker

Hi,

Following "too many IDs " and other pipit threads it is with fear and trepidation I launch this thread. I've done my research and I think it's a Meadow. Taken in Feb on Holy Island this bird was sheltering from a "cut you in half " freezing wind. No song and the only flight I saw was as it hopped over the other side of the rock. It's hunched so no crown markings can be seen which would have sealed it for this beginner. The legs are the right colour, around the eye is fine but you can't see what I call the tick, running down the neck and below the eye. This again could be because it's hunched.
Anyone spare the time --- thanks

CB

Attachments

• Guess.jpg
    Guess.jpg
    79.5 KB · Views: 254

pauco

Старлин&
Hi CB, and its with trepidation i reply to this ID, i am NO expert on pipits, but neck on block i think your on the right track with meadow, it has a short supercilium, good body streaks, and has that fresh look-and a "kind appearing face" Breast markings also appear right. Now over to our experts.

pianoman

duck and diver, bobolink and weaver
Nice picture, there is a glow in the evening light which makes it appear quite reddish but I'll stick my neck out and say Rock pipit - smudged and quite coarse streaking and low contrast edges to wing coverts. I find rock pipits much less vocal, too - Meadow just can't resist making a sound every few seconds. Oh - it's on a rock, too. Only a small point in its favour though.

Is the rock right by the sea? MP often comes down to the seashore, but rock pipit rarely ventures far from the shore.

I'm probably wrong (thinking of putting that in my quote line ;-) ) We've only two native pipits to choose from down my way.

cheers,

Andrew

Last edited:

Lucky Birder

Notts Birder
This is a fascinating picture and just shows how misleading photos can be and how 'horrible' these beautiful birds can be. It looks like a Rock Pipit in structure but the legs are awfully pale. It doesn't have quite the right colour legs for Meadow Pipit either. Neither does it show the classic Mippit flank streaking. It's bill looks slightly heavy for Meadow. I think it's a Rock. But I'm not 100% sure.

Last edited:

chris baker

Yes the rock is by the sea, I dont find the photo misleading at all. I viewed the bird thro' binos despite it's close range and the photo reflects what I saw. No colour has been added or subtracted, so where does the horrible fit in.

My first thought on viewing was Rock but as this is only the second one (perhaps) I've seen I consulted my guide. The legs swayed me to Meadow as in my guide a Rocks legs are grey/black. As for the rest of my thoughts see initial thread, but I am only a novice.

Cheers CB

Lucky Birder

Notts Birder
I meant horrible in the sense of the source of ID frustration. Photos have a way of capturing some species in an atypical way. When we see a bird in a real life we gets lots of other cues to aid identification. The legs do look pake for Rock, although some do show paler legs than the field guides might suggest.

M Cowming

You gotta love Pipits!!! They're just a headache a min...at least when identifying them from photos. In the flesh, sorting these is quite easy with practice (Rock & Meadow).

I have to say that I think it's a Rock pipit, and would attribute the apparent "bright coloured" legs to the strong light which seems to be striking the bird on the chest. The bill appears too strong for mipit and overall, the bird seems more "sullied" rather than clearly marked.

However, I could be wrong! Keep 'em coming (pipits) I say!

Regards,

Mickymouse

Ubuntu Linux user
Probable Rockit for me, ignore the to many IDs thread, that was silly a bit like moaning about to much football on match of the day.

Mick

CJW

Hit-and-run WUM
It's clearly a Rock Pipit. I see nothing unusual in any of the features (including the 'pale' legs.) I'd venture to say, given the strength of the supercillium, that there's a high probablilty that it's of the race littoralis.
Rock Pipits have been discussed ad nauseum on Birdforum, you wouldn't need to look back too far in the ID Forums to find all the information you need to identify this bird.

Lucky Birder

Notts Birder
CJW said:
It's clearly a Rock Pipit. I see nothing unusual in any of the features (including the 'pale' legs.) I'd venture to say, given the strength of the supercillium, that there's a high probablilty that it's of the race littoralis.
Rock Pipits have been discussed ad nauseum on Birdforum, you wouldn't need to look back too far in the ID Forums to find all the information you need to identify this bird.

It does look like a Rock Pipit, but it is sufficiently problematical to make the photographer conclude it was a Meadow Pipit.

CJW

Hit-and-run WUM
The strength of the flank streaking (and it's dark background), the generally smudgy appearance of the breast streaking, the weight/length of the bill, the short hind-claw, all should have indicated straight away that it was not a Meadow Pipit.
Perhaps more time taking accurate field notes and actually watching the bird would have been more productive.
Separating the 'rock pipit group' from the Mipit/Tripit group isn't rocket science.

Ghostly Vision

Rock pipit. I too think the pale legs are enhanced by the bright light.

From this photo, and given the locality (where petrosus Rock pipit might breed), I wouldn't want to call the race.

To me, the clincher which is obvious from the photo is the diffuse streaking on the flanks and breast - Meadow would never show that.

Chris, although the features are all there, I did have to look twice at the photo to be sure, so can perfectly understand why a beginner on pipits would find this a difficult one.

GV

CJW

Hit-and-run WUM
You're missing the point, Sean.
Between us (Jane, Tristan, Darrell, Stephen Dunstan, et al), we have put enough information on here to make all but the very worst photographs assignable to 'group'.
I can understand people having 'trouble' with separating littoralis/petrosus/spinoletta and also Tree/Meadow. But starting a thread claiming to have done one's research and then concluding that this bird is a Meadow Pipit...

Last edited:

senatore

This is a Rock Pipit. Why ? because it is on a rock easy!!
If it was in a meadow it is a Meadow Pipit.If it was near water it is a Water Pipit.If it was in a tree it is a Tree Pipit. Easy!!!! What is all the fuss !!!!

Mind you yesterday I saw a Pipit that was on a rock that was that was next to a tree that was in a meadow and there was a small pond very close.The pipit of course went from one to the others.Back to the drawing board!!!!

MAX.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread