• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Blue jay questions (1 Viewer)

I have been trying to get blue jays to my feeders and can not really get them to. I have seen one for the first time today but it landed and grabbed a peanut and left but it wasn’t even on the feeder for a second. Any ideas on how to get them to stay longer

Believe me, there will come a time when you won't be able to deal with a multitude of Blue Jays. They empty my feeders faster than I can fill them ;)

I haven’t seen any more😣 the last time one came it touched the feeder and left right away. I barely hear them only like 1 time in the day every couple days

Last edited:
To attract blue jays I think it is necessary to set up a feeder in my garden. After reading some reviews, I chose the SE6019 wreath feeder. It has a simple yet sturdy design that can provide plenty of capacity for both peanuts and even tubers. This peanut wreath feeder features openings that allow birds to easily access food while keeping the food intact in a sturdy metal vessel. I was surprised at how much food it could hold.

Try peanuts in the shell. (Unsalted!) My blue jays visit now and then throughout the day and take peanut parts from my tray feeder. Ho, hum. However, if I put out a handful or two of peanuts in the shell --- STAND BACK, and woe betide any squirrels that think the nuts are for them! The jays will fly in one or two at a time, lift and shake a couple of random peanuts to test the quality, find a good one then fly off and stow it somewhere, and come back for more. This will go on continuously until the peanuts in the shell are gone and my hungry little squirrels are wondering what on earth just happened.

Edit: I don't put out a feeder full of whole peanuts in the shell because I've done that and ended up with shells everywhere. I find that with the handful-at-a-time method the shell castoffs are limited to just the ones that the squirrels managed to get to before the jays invade. LOL!

To attract blue jays I think it is necessary to set up a feeder in my garden. After reading some reviews about the best feeders for blue jays, I chose the SE6019 wreath feeder. It has a simple yet sturdy design that can provide plenty of capacity for both peanuts and even tubers. This peanut wreath feeder features openings that allow birds to easily access food while keeping the food intact in a sturdy metal vessel. I was surprised at how much food it could hold.
This feeder does what it is supposed to do. But here’s a caveat: this type of feeder is quite attractive to unwanted guests and can stand as a competition against squirrels, mice, and rats so you’ve got to be careful where you should place it, especially if you want to keep it exclusive for blue jays and other birds.

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back