• BirdForum is the net's largest birding community dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE!

Register for an account to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Blue tit behaviour (1 Viewer)

Hi there all

I live in London, UK.

Blue tits have raised chicks for the 5th year running in my nest box. I noticed yesterday that the constant to and fro of the parents and the clamour from the box had completely ceased so at some point when I wasn't in the garden they have fledged.
However I haven't had any sight of the parents or young since - I thought they stayed relatively local to the nest site for a while ?
My anxiety is that there are 2 jays who have been in my area all spring, very bold, they come pretty close and not that far from nest box. There were a lot of alarm calls yesterday from the local blackbird and robin as well when I was outside.
One egg and remains of a dead chick when I looked into the nest box.

I know no one can tell for sure, but what are the chances of survival for the young ( and parents) and could they have moved location precisely because of the presence of the jays?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread