• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Blue tit clutch dead in my bird box 😒 (1 Viewer)

I live in Somerset near the levels on a campsite surrounded by open countryside. I have spent a lot of time recently bird watching and taking photos. I have a few feeders hanging in the hedge behind my caravan so I can view them in comfort and have been thrilled at the variety of birds that come to visit.
I had a go at making a bird box about a month ago and put it up before I had to go away on a trip. I was chuffed to discover blue tits had taken up residence when I returned. IMG_20210511_145113104~2.jpg
I watched the activity of the parents with joy, knowing that the eggs must have hatched. A couple of days ago while I was out the gardener came round cutting the grass I had pointed out the bird box to him and now wish I told him to steer well clear of it.
I saw no activity all day yesterday except first thing in the morning when an adult flew to the box went in and came out again very quickly onto a branch then back in and out almost like it was confused.
I took a peek inside this morning fearing the worst and yes unfortunately they're all dead, which is heartbreaking.
Could it have been the fumes/noise from the petrol mower?
Seeing an adult yesterday morning with food suggests they didn't abandon the nest, I saw a woodpecker yesterday on my feeder
Is there any chance that if I clear the box and clean it other birds will move in, or is it too late now?
I would appreciate any advice or info

Attachments

• Nesting BT  (3).jpg
    Nesting BT (3).jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 18
  • IMG_20210520_210236634~2.jpg
    IMG_20210520_210236634~2.jpg
    759.2 KB · Views: 22
Last edited:
Hi Lindylou and a warm welcome to you from all the Staff and Moderators.

What a shame this nesting attempt failed - unfortunately it's all too common. I can't really help with the reason, there could be many. Maybe one of the adults died and the other was unable to provide enough food. It could have been the poor weather this spring. Blue Tits won't make another attempt to nest.

I'm sure you will enjoy it here and I look forward to hearing your news.

Hi Lindylou and a warm welcome to you from all the Staff and Moderators.

What a shame this nesting attempt failed - unfortunately it's all too common. I can't really help with the reason, there could be many. Maybe one of the adults died and the other was unable to provide enough food. It could have been the poor weather this spring. Blue Tits won't make another attempt to nest.

I'm sure you will enjoy it here and I look forward to hearing your news.
Thanks for the welcome
I did read that blue tits only lay one clutch annually but are there any other species that may still breed at this time of year? I could make the hole bigger to attract other birds

Last edited:
Welcome to Birdforum.

I suspect that most birds are already well into rearing families and those who raise more than one brood won’t be interested in a nest box.

Hello Lindylou,
sad to hear that story though I dont think mowing noises could cause such a thing. Here 5 of the blue tit chickens died a few days ago as well, just from one day to the other, totally unexpected, no noises or vapors. There are just two left. Of course we’re also speculating...With us the reason could have been bad food picked from our neighbour who uses some not so healthy fertalizer in his garden, could also be the return of the Suttonella ornithocola bacteria, which caused a huge number of deaths with blue titslast year or maybe its just survival of the fittest. We just dont know...😟
I would clean the box with hot water and give them a second chance. Still some time left till june!πŸ˜‰
Greetings, Meisenmama

Attachments

• 667AF782-859A-4AF5-99E8-B3A5195CC6B9.jpeg
    667AF782-859A-4AF5-99E8-B3A5195CC6B9.jpeg
    49.5 KB · Views: 4
  • 78913283-39BB-45A0-9D6B-B7EBBB8AFFD9.jpeg
    78913283-39BB-45A0-9D6B-B7EBBB8AFFD9.jpeg
    128.6 KB · Views: 3
Thanks meisenmama,
It's very sad to see, they were so perfect too, 7 little chicks😒
I scrubbed the box today with boiling water and dried it out, now its up and ready for another try πŸ€žπŸ™
I hope your 2 make it out of the nest ok
Lindylou

I think there's a very good chance that the lack of insects during a very chilly May, has resulted in the starvation of these chicks.

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back