• BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE!

You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Blue Tit help needed please - England (1 Viewer)

Traydee68

Hi people, looking for help please...Over the past 2-3 weeks we have had a pair of blue tits building a nest in our bird box which contains a camera in our garden. While they have been building it the female has been roosting in there at night. However for the last 4-5 nights she hasn't been roosting in there but we guessed that was because the nest building had finished and ready for eggs to be laid. The pair were seen during the daytime the following 2 days afterwards but haven't been seen at all over the last 2 days since then. The nest is definitely finished but there are no eggs in it.. do they have a gap between nest building and egg laying or have they abandoned the nest but why? Any help would be much appreciated thanks. :-(

delia todd

If I said the wrong thing it was a Senior Moment
Staff member
Opus Editor
Supporter
Scotland
Hi Traydee and a warm welcome to you from all the Staff and Moderators.

I've moved your post to the Nestboxes forum as the people in there are more used to watching the behaviour of birds using them. I'm sure someone will be along to advise you soon.

I've subscribed you to this thread so that you can find it easily - you will get an email with any replies and can click on the link provided in it, to bring you straight here.

Meanwhile, I hope you enjoy your time here with us and I look forward to hearing your news. Please let us know what happens.

Kits

Picture Picker
Welcome to Birdforum! I am sure that you will find lots to interest you here, and I hope that you enjoy your visits.

We have two blue tit nest boxes and they seem to be used differently. The one without a camera (typical!) has birds nesting in it and currently they are very busy taking food in to it. The one which has a camera seems only to be used for roosting and is now empty and unused.

YuShan

Are you sure they haven't visited at all during daytime? And are you sure the nest is finished?

I have experienced myself in the past that sometimes activity can stop for a while, but it doesn't have to be permanent at this stage. However, even then I would expect a few visits during the day.

Anyway, don't dispair yet. They may come back.

Users who are viewing this thread