• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Blue Tit Nest (1 Viewer)

ThomasW

United Kingdom
It's now day 7 of her egg laying. Each day, around 6 am, activity begins and as soon as an egg is laid she covers it with material in the nest. Then a short time later she returns with more material to further bury the eggs.

At first I wondered why she dug such a deep pit in the centre of the nest, almost down to the floor, but I guess it's to accommodate a number of eggs. I also wondered, as they lay an egg a day, why by the time the last one is laid are the earlier ones not stone cold. Having seen how she buries each one in turn I can see that the nest is keeping them warm to some degree. She's almost upside down packing material around her eggs!

Fascinating to watch.

Attachments

• Headfirst.jpg
    Headfirst.jpg
    86.7 KB · Views: 21
It seems 8 is her total. She's only leaving the nest briefly today and once back buries herself almost completely.

Attachments

• Sitting_200420.jpg
    Sitting_200420.jpg
    80 KB · Views: 12
I also wondered, as they lay an egg a day, why by the time the last one is laid are the earlier ones not stone cold.
The eggs don't need to be kept warm until she starts incubating once the clutch is complete. That way they all hatch together. Some species (e.g. birds of prey) incubate from the start so the older eggs hatch first.

The eggs don't need to be kept warm until she starts incubating once the clutch is complete. That way they all hatch together. Some species (e.g. birds of prey) incubate from the start so the older eggs hatch first.

Ah, I see. Thanks.

What does surprise me is the amount of time she spends off the eggs.
I understand she needs to eat but she leaves the nest several times during the day, though admittedly only for 5-10 mins at a time.
I guess it must be boring sitting looking at 4 walls for hours ;) #lockdown

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back