• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Blue-winged Teal or hybrid?, Worcs, Uk (1 Viewer)

My thoughts FTW is that this is likely a BWT x Shoveler, based on the bill size and shape alone - surely a BWT would not have those extended lateral expansions? Image 11/15 on LGRE's link is the one which does it for me. I haven't looked closely at plumage details but it doesn't look that far off a BWT. This is not a rare hybrid and a number of years ago there was an elusive male with this parentage at Blashford Lakes. Good luck with seeking more informed views.

cheers, alan

I've little experience with hybrid Blue-winged Teal by shovelers, but I'm wondering why it isn't merely a female Cinnamon Teal? The bill certainly fits a Cinnamon Teal, which do have very shoveler-like bills.

Thanks for the feedback guys.

Cinnamon Teal was considered but I felt the head pattern was too well marked for this species. I guess it is a BWT x Shoveler but given its size, iris colour and face pattern makes me consider that it is about as close to BWT as you can get without it actually being one.

When viewed in sunny conditions the iris colour is a very deep maroon and when feeding along side Common Teal it appears longer in the body and a little bulkier, about Garganey size but certainly no larger.

Brian

Sorry to bump this back up, but after seeing the new pictures, I agree that a hybrid does seem to be the best fit. That bill is huge, far wider than I've ever seen on a pure Blue-winged Teal, and it looks awfully pale too.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back