• BirdForum is the net's largest birding community dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE!

Register for an account to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Bluebirds nesting now what? (1 Viewer)

jlpicard

Longtime backyard feeder all the good stuff sunflower hearts, shelled peanuts, Mealworm, citrus, Nyjer. Just this past week noticed a male bluebird in my yard never seen here before. I did see a male once last year (same one?) So i went into my shop and banged together a bb nesting house based on a design i found online and hung it on a dead standing maple trunk (it's been limbed) in my backyard. Noticed a woodpecked hole 14 ft off ground with grass protruding on south side. Put a ladder up and at the top i got bird bombed! Nest had 3 small blue eggs. I immediately pulled the ladder and observed the nest all day. Now i saw the male and the female showed up. Both have entered and exited the nest . question: should i remove the box i built to discourage any other wanted or unwanted species from using?

PYRTLE

Old Berkshire Boy
I wouldn't personally, but perhaps quickly put some tape over the nestbox hole as a quick fix. But beware that shy species can be spooked by even the tiniest of changes, especially during laying. Just let them be, the less disturbance the more chance of a fledged brood from the Bluebirds.

Users who are viewing this thread