• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Bombus sp. ID? (Cambs. UK) (1 Viewer)

DoghouseRiley

Hi All

Found feeding on ground ivy in a damp woodland ride.

Typical bumblebee appearance - black antenae, legs and eyes.
With a yellow collar, white/pale tail.

I can't narrow it down to a species?

Yours, Gareth

Attachments

• Pic9a.jpg
    Pic9a.jpg
    201 KB · Views: 16
  • Pic9b.jpg
    Pic9b.jpg
    156.1 KB · Views: 16
Looks to be one of the cuckoo species with black shiny chitin showy (less furry), darkened wings & there's no pollen basket. Would liked to have seen a better shot of the rear end.

Looks to be one of the cuckoo species with black shiny chitin showy (less furry), darkened wings & there's no pollen basket. Would liked to have seen a better shot of the rear end.
Agree.
It seems like there is yellow on the side of the third tergite. So probably B. vestalis or B. bohemicus but don‘t know which species occur in Britain (and distinguishing them can be really hard). But I wouldn’t go farther than cuckoo sp. without more photos

Agree.
It seems like there is yellow on the side of the third tergite. So probably B. vestalis or B. bohemicus but don‘t know which species occur in Britain (and distinguishing them can be really hard). But I wouldn’t go farther than cuckoo sp. without more photos
Both of those species occur in the UK with B. vestalis much more common in the south (I've seen quite a few this week) & B. bohemicus in the north.

Ficedula, could please elobrate?

And thanks again by the way. G
I notice you do not say where this was taken, if not British then could be something else.

Of the Bombus subgen Psithyrus only vestalis has the combination of neat coat, white tip to abdomen with definite yellow patches anterolaterally.

I notice you do not say where this was taken, if not British then could be something else.

Of the Bombus subgen Psithyrus only vestalis has the combination of neat coat, white tip to abdomen with definite yellow patches anterolaterally.
Brampton Wood, Cambridgeshire (Cambs UK was in the title). Thanks for the additional info. G

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back