• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Bonin Island Honeyeater/White-eye (1 Viewer)

Sally Conyne

Hello All

Can someone direct me to recent genetic work regarding this species, particularly work that indicates it is actually a white-eye?

I'd also be interested in any thoughts about this bird based on observations.

Thanks,

Sally Conyne
Rushland, PA

Sally,

I'm not aware of any recent genetic work, eg van Balen 2008 (HBW 13) doesn't reference any recent studies.

But van Balen, Dickinson 2003 (H&M 3), and Inskipp et al 1996 (OBC checklist) reference Springer et al 1995 (Molecular evidence that the Bonin Islands "Honeyeater" is a white-eye).

Richard

Last edited:
The Reference by Springer et al. is mentioned on page 851 in HBW 13

Sally,

I'm not aware of any recent genetic work, eg van Balen 2008 (HBW 13) doesn't reference any recent studies.

But van Balen, Dickinson 2003 (H&M 3), and Inskipp et al 1996 (OBC checklist) reference Springer et al 1995 (Molecular evidence that the Bonin Islands "Honeyeater" is a white-eye).

Richard

Can someone direct me to recent genetic work regarding this species, particularly work that indicates it is actually a white-eye?

Kawakami et al (2008) recently studied intraspecific variation in this species, based on partial mitochondrial control region (d-loop) sequences, and morphology.

This work did not address the relationships of Apalopteron, but the sequences they identified can rather easily be aligned with published homologous sequences from other species, including several Zosterops. What this produces is in attachment.

Cheers,
Laurent -

Attachments

• cr-Zosteropidae.pdf
    3.2 KB · Views: 78
Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back