• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Bonus, South Africa (1 Viewer)

opisska

rabid twitcher
Czech Republic
Finally, the most sought for prizes for the ID masters: the barely IDable smudges at the far end of the reach of the camera! A two-post collection of barely avian creatures on which you can sharpen your skills to a next level!

1 - Etosha, Namibia
2 - Ngepi Camp, Caprivi strip, Namibia
3 - Chobe riverfront, Botswana
4 - Maun, Botswana
5 - Moremi, Botswana

Attachments

• 1-aMG_8024.JPG
    1-aMG_8024.JPG
    125.5 KB · Views: 23
  • 1-bMG_3015.JPG
    1-bMG_3015.JPG
    189.9 KB · Views: 19
  • 1-bMG_4996.JPG
    1-bMG_4996.JPG
    151.2 KB · Views: 15
  • 1-bMG_7879.JPG
    1-bMG_7879.JPG
    184.4 KB · Views: 23
  • 1-bMG_8432.JPG
    1-bMG_8432.JPG
    97.3 KB · Views: 20
6 - Moremi, Botswana
7 - northern Kruger, SAR
8 - Maputo Special Reserve, Mozambique
9 - Tsehlanyane, Lesotho

And that's all folks, thanks for tuning in :)

Attachments

• 1-bMG_8659.JPG
    1-bMG_8659.JPG
    276.3 KB · Views: 15
  • 1-cMG_0215.JPG
    1-cMG_0215.JPG
    274.9 KB · Views: 14
  • 1-cMG_1043.JPG
    1-cMG_1043.JPG
    28.3 KB · Views: 14
  • 1-cMG_3954.JPG
    1-cMG_3954.JPG
    53.7 KB · Views: 17
1.lark like bunting
4.garden warbler
5.chirping cisticola
6.yellow throated bush sparrow
7.yellow bellied greenbul
8.pale flycatcher?
9.long billed lark
others unknown

1.lark like bunting
4.garden warbler
5.chirping cisticola
6.yellow throated bush sparrow
7.yellow bellied greenbul
8.pale flycatcher?
9.long billed lark
others unknown

Thanks! Garden warbler is funny, just did not occur to me it could be it :) Are you sure with the Chirping Cisticola? Would be our only one, but the photo doesn't seem convincing to me ...

Are you also sure the Lark is Long-billed and not Large-billed? I failed to find any depiction of Long-billed with a crest!

Last edited:
Thanks! Garden warbler is funny, just did not occur to me it could be it :) Are you sure with the Chirping Cisticola? Would be our only one, but the photo doesn't seem convincing to me ...

Are you also sure the Lark is Long-billed and not Large-billed? I failed to find any depiction of Long-billed with a crest!
the cisticola has uniform,not so rufous unstreaked head,streaked back,I think chirping is best option

and I'm sorry its a mistake,that bird is a large billed lark Galerida magnirostris
its Chinese name means long billed
so I had confused。。。。

2 Maybe a juvenile Babbler?
3 could be a Sabota
5 not sure that you can rule out Rattling. I would expect Chirping to have more buffy underparts, even in such a bleached photo. The local Rattling race, frater are paler than their eastern relatives
6 Yellow throated Petronia EDIT: sorry, just noted that yellow throated bush sparrow is alt nameo:eat:
9 Looks more Large(thick) billed than long billed, doesn't look rufous enough to me EDIT: just saw arcadillor's correction, so I can understand the confusion

Last edited:
Thanks for more input! So I think we will leave the Cisticola undecided (if it is Rattling, it is not interesting, we have other very nice photos of a clear Rattling) and the Large-billed Lark is now clear and is a new species for us.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back