• BirdForum is the net's largest birding community dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE!

Register for an account to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Book for European insects? (1 Viewer)

pdwinter

Paul Winter
Although this is now a dead thread - I would recommend Butterflies of Britain and Europe - A Photographic Guide by Haahtela, Saarinen, Ojalainen and Arnio as a butterfly guide that I find better for use in the field than Tolman and Lewington which was mentioned in post #17.

Timbirder3

Thanks Paul for reminding me of this. I knew there was a photographic guide that was highly recommended, but don't have it myself. In the field in Europe I use the Mitchell Beazley pocket guide. It's out of print and probably very dated but has the advantage of genuinely fitting in a pocket. The Tolman guide I leave in the hotel for later reference.
Tim

Andy Adcock

England
Although this is now a dead thread - I would recommend Butterflies of Britain and Europe - A Photographic Guide by Haahtela, Saarinen, Ojalainen and Arnio as a butterfly guide that I find better for use in the field than Tolman and Lewington which was mentioned in post #17.
Reprint (updated?) now available quite cheaply on Amazon..............

Users who are viewing this thread