• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Books on the world's dragonflies & damselflies (1 Viewer)

Ries

Netherlands
Scouring the web I don't seem to be able to find books providing overview of dragonflies in larger regions, let alone the whole world (as we do have for birds f.i).
I see books specifically for a few countries like Costa Rica, South Africa, Sri Lanka...some for larger regions like Australia, India, Europe of course and for the US even down to state level.

But where are books on dragonflies in Asia, if only SE, or the Amazon rainforest, or Africa...the world...? Do those even exist or have been published at all?

Any advice on books to get to know, if only even admire in pictures, the world's dragonflies and damselflies? Thanks!

Dijkstra's book on the dragonflies of eastern Africa is pretty good. A bit large for my bookshelf, though. Since he also wrote one of the few guides to the dragons of Europe, maybe we need to wait for him to write about other regions.

Jill Silsby's book Dragonflies of the World is long out of print and only goes to family level, but it does cover all of the families. Not easy to find at a sensible price in Europe, and 20 years old now. I managed to track down a battered copy that wasn't ruinously expensive via a second hand seller in the US. https://www.alibris.co.uk/Dragonflies-of-the-World-Jill-Silsby/book/1810123

Thanks for all.

Silsby's can be found affordable secondhand. For the rest all seem to stay on country or genera/family level, though the Central America one seems good as does the Eastern Africa one.

India is of course a large region as is China https://www.nhbs.com/dragonflies-and-damselflies-of-china-2-volume-set-english-chinese-book

Still surprising there isn't more on the Amazonian ones, as a map indicated the largest variety occurring there, next to SE Asia (there's a book on the Malaysian peninsula + Singapore from the same author as the one for Borneo). The Heckmans are a bit....expensive, as they are rich in contents probably.

Currently paging through Lynx's "All the birds of the world", would be great if there was similar for dragon/damselflies just to lavish on the beauty of nature's variety on that "theme". Seems we're stuck on collecting sometimes quite expensive fragmentary books on this subject.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back