• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

bop- merseyside. (1 Viewer)

pinky & rosie

I apologise for my lack of knowledge!!!
Hey there any help much appreciated.

At this minute i have the biggest bop in my garden but unfortunately my camera has decided not to work!!

It is bigger than a sparrowhawk, much bigger. Its neck looks lighter.

Its bill looks light but darker near the tip which is hooked, slightly and its feet are huge and yellow!!!!

Not sure if it could be an escapee as never saw anythin so big around here before.

Thank you for taking the time to read this and all your possible answers.

I really don't think this bird is a buzzard. We have many around this area and it seems far too big. It is still in the garden, sitting in the same spot. Not sure if it is injured but it has been here for about 3 hours now. I have tried to approach it but too be honest it makes scary noises and looks likely to eat me. I am about 5" 8 and at a quess i'd say its roughly knee height.

I'm waiting for my husband to get home to check it. Don't mind if it eats him!!!

It also appears to have really large "thighs" and is rather broad, also tail feathers seem a little long for buzzard.

Got me puzzled!!

AN EAGLE WOULD BE BIGGER THAN A BUzzard, and, as far as i know there are no eagles in mersyside, so i will guess at escape. any info would be helpful!

If You are used to seeing a male sparrowhawk a female would appear considerably larger. What colour was the bird? If f. sparrowhawk,red kite?

Sorry had problems with my internet. Unfortunately cannot get a photo, had an accident involving my 3 year old and fishtank!! It stayed there all night and was back again today. It is bigger than the bird on the link. It has a ring but can't get close enough to make anything out. Not sure if it flying or just hiding under shrubery. It is a dark brown with lighter neck. It also looks smooth if thats any help!

I would suggest trying to contact someone about this bird. if its 'squawking' at you its hungry, chances are it isn't hunting for itself. the IBR are good people to contact for advice. http://www.independentbirdregister.co.uk/website/ .

Seriously though, if its hungry and its tame, i could try to come up to you for food. So be careful and if you try to feed it make sure its fresh meet such as beef. Not ham or corned beef!

It is more a hissing noise like its trying to threaten me. Sure is working!!!! I have contacted a friend of mine who owns a birds of prey centre so i am waiting for him to come over this afternoon. Hopefully the bird will be here as it isn't at the minute. It doesn't seem tame but not sure if this is because it is scared. My dog certainly got the message to stay away after a nasty pecking last night!!!

If I gather right and its got a smooth neck and hisses, it's gotta be a vulture hasn't it? Maybe Ruppells or White-backed or something

Jan

Edit: Or Bald Eagle!

I hope your friend from the BOP centre brings a camera and that the bird is still there as I'd love to see/know what it was.

Did they turn up this afternoon?

TS

bird of pray

hi there this sounds like a harris hawk to me i lost one myself in sthelens about 4weeks ago after someone braking one of my averys ,if you would like me to come round to see if i can catch the bird up for you feel free to contact me on 07771815308 my name is ian and im an experiance falconer for many yrs ,if its not mine and got rings on i will be able to find out who the bird belongs to by going of the rings number
ian

Thanx Ian. Well my friend arrived yesterday but the bird was not around. He waited for a while and had a look around the garden but still no sign. He was gone all of 10 minutes when the thing re-appeared! It flew into the garden so i now know it can fly which makes me feel a little better. One of my neighbours has also had it in her garden, she seems to think it is after her guinea pigs!

My friend has left some meat for me to put out for it and he is coming back tonight about 6 which is when it usually appears.

I don't think it is a Harris Hawk, it seems bigger than that but i am off to buy a new camera this afternoon so we shall see!!

Hopefully pictures will be on later!!

My friend has left some meat for me to put out for it and he is coming back tonight about 6 which is when it usually appears.

Leaving meat out for it (depending on how much) might take the edge off its appetite and make it harder to catch. Also 6.00pm seems a bit late - will it not be dark, or does the bird roost in your garden?

Just my thoughts,
Keith.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back