• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Bop Uk (1 Viewer)

Himalaya

Any guesses?

Attachments

• BOP1.jpg
    BOP1.jpg
    153.2 KB · Views: 102
  • BOP2.jpg
    BOP2.jpg
    41.2 KB · Views: 178
  • BOP3.jpg
    BOP3.jpg
    41.2 KB · Views: 179
  • BOP4.jpg
    BOP4.jpg
    114.8 KB · Views: 169
  • BOP5.jpg
    BOP5.jpg
    171.1 KB · Views: 101
here are some more - i guess some are very similar to those above. they are stills taken from a video of a bird i saw in August 2013, end week on a sunny day in the late afternoon. footage was recorded at maximum zoom hence the poor quality - however, certain key features are showing i guess.

Attachments

• BOP6.jpg
    BOP6.jpg
    171.1 KB · Views: 114
  • BOP7.jpg
    BOP7.jpg
    190.6 KB · Views: 59
  • BOP8.jpg
    BOP8.jpg
    143.7 KB · Views: 96
Looks like Accipiter sp., the facial pattern resembles a Goshawk's. Unfortunately difficult to see.

edit: oops, cross-posted...

1st thoughts of thumbnails was osprey but then when looked at a couple close in thought Goshawk but then the 4th pic seems to show a strong moustache as in Peregrine ....

1st thoughts of thumbnails was osprey but then when looked at a couple close in thought Goshawk but then the 4th pic seems to show a strong moustache as in Peregrine ....
A Peregrine would show dark eyes, and (seeing as this bird is grey, like an adult) no supercilium, though.

Pic 4 on first lot and pic 3 in the second seem to show the moustache, cheek pattern and eye-ring of a peregrine.

Stance and location as well - peregrine for me.

Mick

The flared supercilium and eye colour rules out Peregrine and suggests an Accipter and if we take the finders statement that 'the size of the bird is big' at face value - it does indeed look a bit bulky for Sparrowhawk - I'd go for Goshawk

I was walking alone in an area consisting of moorland, some plantations and a couple if water bodies. I was watching a small falcon which was almost certainly a Merlin flying fast along a slope very close to the ground. It sort of dropped into cover an then I noticed this bird which sort if dropped where the Merlin dropped almost immediately. I actually thought I imagined the Merlin and noticing this much larger bird I thought Peregrine. A grouse took off from the area but I did not know if was already chasing it however it was much bigger. I recorded it thinking Peregrine but the bird took off and as this was flying it had broad wings not at all pointed like a Falcon. I knew it was not a Buzzard or an Osprey.

It looks accipiterish to me - but I don't think there's enough detail in these pictures to come up with a solid ID.

Way too bulky and muscular to be a sparrowhawk. Also has a clear white eye stripe even though the still is grainy. A falconer friend of mine instantly recognised it to be a Goshawk - too much muscle on it to be a Sparrowhawk. Seeing it in the field - it was much bigger than a Grouse.

To be honest, I wouldn't say it has a clear white eyestripe. I'd say it looks overexposed and as such I'd be wary about accepting any of the features that are 'apparent' in any of the pictures. I'm not saying it's not a goshawk, but I'd be wary about making a judgement based on these pictures.

Not that that matters, as you appear to have made your mind up already!

I suppose I saw the bird and it was not until I saw the broad wing tips that I questioned it being a Peregrine. I actually had made up my mind it was a Goshawk long before I posted it but just wondered how such unclear images could affect peoples perception. The overall size of the bird is not a small bird - it is quite a large bird hence people have previously suggested a small eagle species, Osprey - definitely not an Osprey.

I say it is a Goshawk if it is a wild bird - the only thing I could not rule out is an escaped falconers bird of some more exotic species.

No to be honest. Well I have been to the area to see snowy landscapes and attempts to see Rough Legged Buzzards but not to see this bird. I live about 30 miles away and I doubt it will show again. Judging by what I saw and the photos I am 100% certain it is a Goshawk. When I have shown the photographs on my phone to people they feel it is a large bird of prey, most likely a Goshawk with a few falconers even going into say it is a female.

If I lived close by the area I would go more often but 30 miles is too difficult. The footage was taken at the end if August. Even though they must breed within 10 miles of the area, sorry I should say try to breed, it could have been a bird moving on.

Also there is a pair of Goshawks that is showing very well within a mile if where I live. There are good vantage points and not many trees for them to hide in. Let us hope I can get to see them and note importantly they have a very successful season.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back