• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Botanical Trip Reports (1 Viewer)

Nelbert

Lincolnshire - Migrants R Us
I'm sure most on here will have used birding trip reports when stalking through new territory, but I was wondering if anyone has an on-line resource for botanical trip reports. I'm going to Turkey for two weeks in May and aside from the birding, am looking to do some botanizing and some sites in SW Turkey, and a species list, no matter how incomplete will help in the planning no-end.

Any suggestions gratefully received.

For Turkey, the best book to check is Flora of Turkey and the East Aegean Islands, all 11 vols of it, published by RBG Edinburgh / Edinburgh University Press.

Hi Nelbert

Well why don't you post yours here and start a new trend.
I try to list what plants I can when out birding and conversely when
out with the local fern group, I'll record birds as well.

There's never a dull moment

Peter

Good idea, Neil, and one I struggled with before my recent trip abroad. I don't think there is such a database.

There are three possible methods that I used:

a) Join a newsgroup for Orchids of the Country you are about to visit. Often people in other countries (where the orchids are more plentiful and less at risk) are more forthcoming with sites than here. These will be found, if they exist, via the method below, or a search of Yahoo, MSN, etc.
b) Do the usual Web search for the orchids of the country to see if there is a local Orchid society or expert, and Email them.
c) Join the Hardy Orchid Society (make it quick, their year runs from 1st May); they are dedicated to the study (and propagation, incidentally) of Wild Orchids in Europe. There are a lot of members who have a lot of experience abroad - worldwide, not just Europe. They can be a little cautious, but go to one of their meetings and meet the people to gain their trust, and you will never look back. They have a website with an online membership form, and it's cheap.

Because I had the same problem as you recently, I had planned to find or start a resource - I am starting here by posting my Italian stuff (once I've identified all the tricky ones!!). But watch this space and keep in touch.

By the way, hope you had a good trip.

Cheers

GV

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back