• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS. Discover the fascinating world of birds, and win a birding trip to Columbia

BOW Key (1 Viewer)

PScofield

Here , Colonel Dionisio Borbon Gutierrez Snr (1891-1958) Provincial Governor of Cotabato . Governor Gutierrez was born in Batangas , Batangas Province, Philippines, on October 9 1891, the son of Lucio Gutierrez and Fernanda Borbon. Death 27 August 1958 Cotabato, Cotabato Province, Philippines

Last edited:

Taphrospilus

Edithornis [updated]
‡ (syn. Pareudiastes † Makira Moorhen P. silvestris) Edith Brevoort Baker née Kane (1884-1977) wife of US financier and philanthropist George Fisher Baker, Jr. (1878-1937); Gr. ορνις ornis, ορνιθος ornithos bird; the Makira Moorhen is still known only from the single specimen collected by a local hunter in 1929 in primaeval forest on San Cristobal I., Solomon Is.; "EDITHORNIS, new genus ... GENOTYPE.—Edithornis silvestris, new species. ... This remarkable new rail stands out among the numerous discoveries of new species by the Whitney South Sea Expedition. It is a type quite by itself and apparently has no close relative. Of all the rails known to me, the extinct (?) Samoan rail Pareudiastes shows the greatest likeness to Edithornis. It gives me pleasure to name this genus in honor of Mrs. George F. Baker, Jr., who has shown so much interest in the progress of the Whitney South Seas Expedition. Edithornis differs from Pareudiastes by having bill and feet much more developed. The frontal shield is larger and the feathering on the sides of the head is different. Tarsus and feet are comparatively much longer. I can say very little about the habits of this bird, which was collected by one of our native hunters. According to them, this bird, which they call "Kia" (pronounced Keéa), lives in the dense undergrowth of the mountain forest. Apparently it does not fly very much, if at all, and is hunted by the natives with dogs. The bird seems to be very rare, as we did not succeed in getting a second specimen in spite of all the inducements I offered, realizing at once the value of this new genus." (Mayr 1933); "Edithornis Mayr, 1933, American Museum Novitates, 590, p. 1. Type, by original designation and monotypy, Edithornis silvestris Mayr." (mihi 2020).

The Eponym Dictionary of Birds had her only as:
Makira/San Cristobal Moorhen genus Edithornis Mayr, 1933 [Now usually included within Gallinula]
Common Cicadabird ssp. Coracina tenuirostris edithae Stresemann, 1932 [Alt. Sulawesi Slender-billed Cicadabird]
Edith Brevoort Baker née Kane (1884–at least 1930) was the wife (1911) of George Fisher Baker Jr (1878–1937), an American financier who, at the time of their marriage, was Vice President and Director of the First National Bank (his father was President until 1909). He was also an enthusiastic swimmer and yachtsman.

Edithornis OD here
Edolisoma tenuirostre edithae Stresemann, 1932 OD here
Mrs. George Baker zu Ehren benannt.
Trichoglossus flavoviridis edithae Stresemann 1931 OD here
Dieser Vogel ist Mrs. Geoege Baker gewidmet.

All in accordance with the key.

ZEISS. Discover the fascinating world of birds, and win a birding trip to Columbia
ZEISS. Discover the fascinating world of birds, and win a birding trip to Colombia
ZEISS. Discover the fascinating world of birds, and win a birding trip to Colombia

Users who are viewing this thread