• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Box Tree Caterpillars: They're back with a vengeance !! (1 Viewer)

John Nihon

Almost one year on and they're back. I've hand picked going on for 200 from a section of our box tree hedge the past couple of days. I know there are more, probably many many more !! :mad:

DSC_8593_02.jpg
DSC_8606_02.jpg

If anyone has any ideas of a quick/efficient way of getting rid of them please let me know. :unsure:

Ideally what I'd like is a chemical that I can spray onto the hedge that will penetrate it just terminating these caterpillars and leaving everything else unharmed. I know I'm asking a lot but if you don't ask then you don't get anywhere.

I'm surprised you don't have a population of obese Blue Tits and Great Tits with this abundance of food, are they toxic, do birds not eat them?

I'm surprised you don't have a population of obese Blue Tits and Great Tits with this abundance of food, are they toxic, do birds not eat them?
We do have a number of Blue Tits and Great Tits but I think that it's either difficult for them to access the box hedge to get at the caterpillars or that they're full to bursting point so that can't eat anymore.

Our Blue Tits love the Bay Trees. They're frequently flapping their wings around them to I presume encourage any insects out.

Last edited:
Update: As of this morning I'm up to around 508 caterpillars! I think I may just be starting to get them under control. :unsure: The eggs are also a BIG problem as they're so tiny and even harder to find/see 👀 than the caterpillars. :rolleyes:

Yikes! Are you spending all your time out there? Poor you, John.
Whenever there's light Kits, even moonlight .... LOL !! ;)

No, actually, now I've finished cutting the hedge I just do an early morning check. My belief is that the caterpillars are still half a sleep then so don't run away as quick. :D

❌ WARNING ❌: My advice is that if anyone's thinking about getting a Box Tree Hedge then D O N ' T !! They look nice and neat and tidy if kept right BUT beware the dreaded Box Tree Caterpillar, they have a H U G E appetite!

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back