• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Brandon Marsh (1 Viewer)

Geoff Haynes

Hello, I am thinking of going to Brandon Marsh for the first time and i was wondering if there was a set opening time for Sundays ?
I am fairly new to birding and would like to take some photos any pointers for good spots or where should i go whilst there ?

Thanks very much, Geoff.

Hi Geoff

If you're a member of the trust you can usually open the barrier gate yourself and gain entry via the side gate otherwise I don't think they open until 10am on a Sunday.

I've often had kingfishers at the Carlton hide just before 7:30 but any of the hides can be good for photography with Water rail from the East Marsh hide.

Good luck :t:
Di

What Di and John said.

Carlton Hide is probably the best to view Kingfishers as there are a few perches set up for them to perch on and eat their perch :eek:)

Brandon Marsh - Jack Snipe and a Polecat????

Had a great day today at Brandon Marsh, having spotted a record 40 species in one day that included Jack Snipe, Kestrel, Water Rail, Green and GS Woodpeckers, Greenshank and Sparrowhawk. Also heard a Nuthatch and Cetti's Warblers. On our route back via one of the nature trails we heard alarm calls from lots of birds along the river, at first thinking it was our prescence but soon noticing a dark animal moving along the bank.

At first glance we thought it was a cat, but waiting motionless for it to reappear a large ferret-type creature ran towards us, stared at us then scarpered. After looking in my books and online I am fairly certain this was a polecat. But on the edge of Coventry???? No pics I'm afraid - it didn't wait for the camera. Was very ferret-like in appearance, but much bigger , about the size of a domestic cat, with a face reminiscent of a small red panda.

What does everyone else think? Any ideas or similar stories, or am I going mad?

Steve

Had a great day today at Brandon Marsh, having spotted a record 40 species in one day that included Jack Snipe, Kestrel, Water Rail, Green and GS Woodpeckers, Greenshank and Sparrowhawk. Also heard a Nuthatch and Cetti's Warblers. On our route back via one of the nature trails we heard alarm calls from lots of birds along the river, at first thinking it was our prescence but soon noticing a dark animal moving along the bank.

At first glance we thought it was a cat, but waiting motionless for it to reappear a large ferret-type creature ran towards us, stared at us then scarpered. After looking in my books and online I am fairly certain this was a polecat. But on the edge of Coventry???? No pics I'm afraid - it didn't wait for the camera. Was very ferret-like in appearance, but much bigger , about the size of a domestic cat, with a face reminiscent of a small red panda.

What does everyone else think? Any ideas or similar stories, or am I going mad?

Steve

Could be a polecat, I think I read somewhere the Midlands was a polecat stronghold. I think someone wrote a paper on genetics of polecats using road killed specimens found in Warwickshire.

Can't find the Brandon Annual Reports at the moment, but they'll be listing of the various sightings if they've been seen. Prob. not too many though as i think they're nocturnal.

In 2008 there were 5 reports of polecats, 4 of those were animals caught in the mink traps, they were released again unharmed.

Hope it's ok to tag my post onto this thread....

I'm thinking of heading over to Brandon Marsh tomorrow (on the way to relatives for Christmas :)) and wondered
a) if it was open? and
b) if it might be possible to see one or other of the Barn Owls which are present there?!
Any information would be very gratefully received. I've been trying to see a wild Barn Owl for ages and this might be my best opportunity....
thanks
Hobbes

I was there about three weeks ago and saw Barn Owl from Carlton Hide from mid afternoon onwards. This is a good location to watch the Barn Owl from.

Good Luck

Dean:t:

I was there about three weeks ago and saw Barn Owl from Carlton Hide from mid afternoon onwards. This is a good location to watch the Barn Owl from.

Good Luck

Good Luck

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back