• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Brasilian birds, help id (1 Viewer)

lbaia

Dear friends,

I've been to Brazil in March/April and had some great bird opportunities, but since I'm quite new on this and unfortunately don't have any book of the area, I'm having some trouble id'ing some of the birds.

All photos were taken in Mato Grosso do Sul, first three in Pantanal area and last two in Bonito (Serrado) area.

Thanks in advance for helping.
Luis

Attachments

• 20140413_brasil_0157.jpg
    20140413_brasil_0157.jpg
    577.5 KB · Views: 57
  • 20140413_brasil_0161.jpg
    20140413_brasil_0161.jpg
    539.3 KB · Views: 63
  • 20140414_brasil_0196.jpg
    20140414_brasil_0196.jpg
    284.8 KB · Views: 62
  • 20140418_brasil_0492.jpg
    20140418_brasil_0492.jpg
    338.5 KB · Views: 52
  • 20140418_brasil_0494.jpg
    20140418_brasil_0494.jpg
    188 KB · Views: 62
1) Plumbeous Ibis
2) Southern Screamer and Bare-faced Ibis
3) Nanday Parakeet and Monk Parakeet
4) Campo Flicker
5) Masked Water-Tyrant?
Andy

Andy

Thanks for the quick answer, that seems very right.
Just two additional things: in the second photo there is a bird with a yellow color in the top right corner and in the third photo an all-black bird in the bottom left corner. What these could be?
Luis

Agree with Andy except for 5 which I think is White-rumped Monjita (Xolmis velatus). The small brown and yellow bird in the second photo is probably either Social or Rusty- margined Flycatcher. Most likely Social as they seem to like open areas. I can't see enough of the black bird to even guess.

I have to agree with Fritz, the amount of white on the head and the narrow dark band over the eye fits Great Kiskadee better.

Thanks guys.
From what I remember of the bird in second photo I also think it is a Great Kiskadee. I also checked wikiaves which is quite comprehensive for brazil birds and the social and rusty flycatchers are not found in the region of Brazil I was (and Great Kiskadee is quite common).
For the white bird in photo 5 I think I'll go with Monjita because of the face (although I don't remember the tail as of a Monjita).

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back