• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Brazil, Pantanal, August, Hawk ID (1 Viewer)

ugolino

Dear all,

I am just back from a month in the Pantanal, and inevitably, I am confused about some birds.
I attach the first one, a hawk which i photographed in the Southern part of the Pantanal, in the State of Matto Grosso del Sud.
I have thought Bicolored or Sharp shinned, trying to imagine a different morph or a juvenile... but neither of these feels right..
Any assistance or idea would be greatly appreciated.
Many thanks in advance, ugolino

Attachments

• Bicolored Hawk (juvenile) BRA 8624.JPG
    Bicolored Hawk (juvenile) BRA 8624.JPG
    234.3 KB · Views: 94
Not sure what is, but I don't see a median throat stripe, nor the tail pattern I would expect for Double-toothed Kite. Also amber is the typical iris color for the species.

I'd expect a capped appearance (head is uniformly gery what can be seen) and more barring on the breast for Bicoloured but tail length and pattern fits.

Is van Perlo misleading?

Andy

Last edited:
I'd expect a capped appearance (head is uniformly gery what can be seen) and more barring on the breast for Bicoloured but tail length and pattern fits.

Is van Perlo misleading?

Andy

The lack of dark cap bothered me also; plus, not really any photos I could find on the internet that match the underparts pattern.

Jim, Andy, and those interested,
My local guide (who was not 100% sure himself) inquired around and I now attach a page which he sent to me, from a guide book (which sadly I do not have details of) that shows different morphs/subspecies of the Bicolored Hawk...
I think it clears this up.
Best, Ugolino

Attachments

• subespecies.jpg
    subespecies.jpg
    96.5 KB · Views: 29
Your bird has a pale grey top to the head, I'd expect it to be much darker on Bicoloured?

That page shows them all with blackish heads and your bird also has a very wide tail bar?

Andy

Can't help with the id (best guess was bicolored but not satisfied this is correct for reasons stated), but the book is an edition of the helm guide raptors of the world by Ferguson-Lees & Christie (plate 50 in the version I have)

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back