• BirdForum is the net's largest birding community dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE!

Register for an account to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Brazil, Pantanal, Short-tailed Hawk, dark morph ? (1 Viewer)

ugolino

Dear all,
I think I was too hasty in calling these hawks "Great Black"....both photographed last summer in the Pantanal.
I am now inclined to think that they (this is a pair) are both dark morph of "Short-tailed"... the give-away being the small white "tuft" on the forehead of one of them..., and of course the very short tail.
Also leaning towards the first one being the male and the second one the female.
Am I correct ? Thank you all in advance.
Best, ugolino

Attachments

• Short-tailed Hawk BRA 5569.JPG
    Short-tailed Hawk BRA 5569.JPG
    474 KB · Views: 53
  • Short-tailed Hawk BRA 5582.JPG
    Short-tailed Hawk BRA 5582.JPG
    462.7 KB · Views: 44

THE_FERN

This is great black hawk for me. I think the structure is wrong for short - tailed (a slighter, less robust species), as is the cere pattern and, paradoxically the tail length which should be longer. Admit I don't understand the point about the feather tuft on the forehead of one bird : this is down or feathers ruffled by the wind rather than a key plumage feature

AlinoVegano

Great Black Hawk for me too. Names can be confusing, Short-tailed Hawk has a short tail, but Great Black Hawk have even a shorter tail...

ugolino

Thank you both. I see what you mean about the overall build of these birds.
I don't know why I needed to revisit this ID... but I did, and glad that I got it right first time around.
Best wishes for the summer break, ugolino

Kratter

Also, you will never see a Short-tailed Hawk perched on a fence post or out in the open. They perch in the canopy, usually in the leafy portion of tall trees.

Andy

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread